Recalling Ponturddulais 1970…

I’m lucky to have some regular readers who correspond with both comments and emails. It’s always a pleasure to talk about railways, model or otherwise with you all…

Even better, occasionally I’m sent photo or two from your own collections. These are a great resource and look into the past and often help with designing and finishing both commissions and my own models. This weekend I received a wonderful photograph from Alan Sewell…

Ponturddulais shed, 1970. Photograph Alan Sewell.

“I have thought your Pont-y-dulais layout was very good and the name was familiar from somewhere. I then remembered that I visited Graig Merthyr colliery in 1970 and that is where the shed and landsale yard were. I attach a photo from then of a Hunslet Austerity (shades on the Cromford and High Peak) hauling your MDO wagons. As I remember it from over fifty years ago the shed was just out of shot on the left and in addition to the Austerity an old Barclay 0-4-0ST of 1907 was pottering around. I also seem to remember everything felt very run down ( or was that just the weather!!)”

Alan has shared some other material, mainly about my logging railway interests as he has a model of a lumber mill complex in H0. I’m sure this will be useful and shared with the wider world as and when I write about it. If you’d like to get involved in the discussion leave a comment or contact me directly either through Facebook, the contact form on my home page or one of the forum messaging systems. In the meantime, thanks Alan. More soon…

Comments