Archive 5: East Works 009…

Earlier in this series of 'Archive' posts I shared the 009 layout that started it all, and mentioned the ill-fated East Works...

Perhaps that description is a little unfair - I loved the composition and prototype inspiration - it was fun to operate, light to move around and gave a home to my collection of Purbeck inspired stock. However, I felt in hindsight there were two problems for me - one, it didn't have a 'home' in the house, it was stored out of use when home. Exhibition invites never came through the door, so it never had a chance to stretch it's legs. Secondly I felt the viewing window was too tall, and the 'end view' open nature of one end, an experiment, didn't work well in reality.

That being said, when I offered it for sale it was less than a day before I had a full asking price offer - and I'm pleased it's found a new home rather than being scrapped. It proved a training ground for LED lighting, lightweight benchwork and presentation that have proliferated through all my 'cameo box' layouts and Beaverbrook since. 

Russell, sans pony front pony truck aporahces the works to collect a rake of empties - on the right we see an out of era Hudson Hunslet diesel (sold with the layout) and some European skips just past the weigh bridge. Centre we see a lamp hut built by my Grandpa, and next to that a ballast bunker formed from the old back sheet of Tiny's cab, as on the prototype. The track in the foreground was supposed to be an abandoned spur to Goathorn. More on that below...

The Bachmann Baldwin was my second example of this model, I sold the first Snailbeach inspired one, but this time I took a prototype from the Ashover and 'what if'd it had been bought by the clay companies. It featured a 3D printed cab rear and was called 'Stanley'.

The LKM NS2 was my first diesel kit, and this one was repainted from maroon to green for use on East Works, as on the real Norden system they did have a pair of O&K diesels in use for a time.

I often ponder what next for 009. A few months ago I started another box layout, a micro inspired by Stafold Barn - this is likely to get finished in 2022, but it won't scratch the Purbeck itch. I had wondered about a layout 'what if' the clay was still transported and loaded on the river, a re-work of Goathorn pier? Perhaps suggesting a modern unloading setup? I could model a coastal vessel along the backdrop, or on a back scene, and shuttle empties and loads into a more industrial looking setting with conveyors and sheds with the opportunity to model some mud flats and sand dunes... perhaps one to mull over these holidays. Until next time, more soon...

Comments