On Video: Prime Movers...

I was asked by the chap who owns BCR Model Shops about the sound file I had used in my model of the CRS20 I'm building from one of his kits...


The CRS20 is a MLW RS18 (based on the Alco RS11) rebuilt and re-engined with a CAT 3516 engine producing around 2000hp. The new prime mover has quite a distinctive sound - so I wanted to capture that - and found that a European diesel sound file was available with a a CAT 3512 (the 12 cylinder version). It's not quite right, not quite as throaty, but it's certainly passable. I filmed the above video to compare the sounds of the classic Alco 251 (this is the non-turbo version fitted in the switcher), the EMD 567 and the CAT engine.

It's only a short video but it shows the value in having a YouTube channel for things like this - if you haven't done already, please consider subscribing. Thank you and more soon...

Comments