Commission: Weathered green 08…

When building Renfrew Wharf my customer and discussed just how atypical the humble Class 08 is and what a good model it would be for his project…
After a few false starts he managed to pick up this Hornby green example and spent an enjoyable week deciding on a Scottish prototype… the myriad of hinge and lockers that make the 08 a bit of a minefield! 
I removed the Hornby numbers with a sharp blade and polished up the green paint to apply the replacements. The D numbers are from Fox, the Tops numbers from Nairnshire Modeling Shpplies, produced for them by a microscale I believe, I bought them years ago and they’re a pleasure to use…
Weathering started with a panel line wash in a dirty lighter green, and then the usual 98/33 body wash and 133/245/27004 airbrushed grime. I was keen to retain as much of the factory sheen through the grime and I think that’s worked well. Dry brushed 53 gun metal on step edges, frame and chassis brought those dark areas to life…
All that remains is to replace the window on the D number side, and see if it’s possible to squeeze a driver inside, the previous owner has glued the cab in place so I’ve just got the window and door openings to work with! If you’ve got a box fresh mode you’d like me to bring to life then get in touch. Worming from prototype photos with a variety of methods I will look to recreate an evocative model that looks at home on your layout. For more get in touch through the contact form on the home page or via Facebook or the forums. In the meantime more soon…

Comments