Rebuilding a 44t…

Since aged 9 I have had a thing about the Bachmann H0 scale 44t. I remember seeing the adverts in my first (and for a long time only) copy of Model Railroader, it seemed impossibly small yet offered performance and detail in a compact package...
Of course it helped that the prototype was fairly attractive and widely used by railroads - alas, to my young mind the lack of any Canadian Pacific or Canadian National liveried models meant it was not of any use (of course that was based purely on what limited information that one issue contained). Fast forward 30 odd years and it was the Claremont and Concord that brought that model and prototype back into my life - a chance purchase was transformed in to C&C Number 31 and I love it.

80 Tons Of Fun
Inspiration, albeit an 80 ton model. Photo Dave Blazejewski (https://flic.kr/p/2mFA1sx)

That model has limited use on Beaverbrook... however it was seeing this photo on my Flickr photostream, taken by 'Dave Blaze'jewski that lit a new fire underneath my 44t passion. It shows a larger 80 ton ex-USAF example used on the Mohawk, Adirondack and Western at Griffis, the former air force base as a switcher, but a few things stood out and filled it with character - the twin beam headlight, the cut away fairings, the roller bearing journals... I wondered if I could modify a 44t with some of the same modifications... then Kernow Model Centre had a snap sale offering a brand new one for less than £60 and the deal was done...

This is the story so far... apart from the obvious additions of brass door handles, and removals (skirts and footboards) I've also made some other larger changes. The fuel tank area of the chassis was cut down and some 3D designed and printed tanks and air cylinders added in this space. I replaced the side frames with those from the Bachmann 70t I modified into CN 35, cutting off their traditional grease axle boxes and replacing these with 3D designed and printed roller bearing journals. A bell is fitted under the sill, and horn atop the roof, sun shades from the Athearn CF7 fitted over the windows. I have filled and smoothed the original headlights and fitted some sealed beam ones from Detail Associates. In addition the body has been fully worked over removing mould lines and seams, typical for an ageing model like this...
This is the model seen on my earlier blog post comparing the performance of the DCC decoders, so what is the plan? Prime, paint and finish as a modern 'switcher' for Beaverbrook - a bit of fun, a nod to my past, an enjoyable little diversion and project. I have a penchant for re-working older models, it's incredibly satisfying. Until next time, more soon...

Comments