Prototype: Crugwallins in 2000...

I've got some fantastic regular readers to my blog and some of these are kind enough to share photos and memories with me inspired by some of my writing...

Recently, following my photos of my 08 and PRA wagon posing on Pont-y-dulais as if it was the West Country, I received this from Alan Sewell...

I visited Burngullow Driers, Crugwallins Sidings back in 2000 and it was very much like your rendition with a Sentinel 4wDH. A couple of photos are attached and my notes from the visit sum it up I think. 

Crugwallins, 2000. Photo Alan Sewell.

Sentinel 'Denise' at Crugwallins, 2000. Photo Alan Sewell.

"Very simple layout-typical of the small industrial railway of the 1960’s (or earlier).

Imerys’s yard comprises gated track from Railtrack branch which drops gently down to a long loop before joining as a single track through the loading shed. Beyond the shed the tracks finish in a wooded cutting long enough to enable a rake of hoppers to be loaded. Tracks are bordered by a hedge on one side and the plant buildings on the other. Wagons are worked into the loop and rakes of 4/5 CDA hoppers are pulled into the shed for loading. Each hopper is loaded under cover by a front loader. There is only space to load a single wagon and this is largely why a loco is required.

Working was P403D DENISE a Rolls Royce engined 4wDH Sentinel c/n 10029 built in 1960 and painted a clay stained orange. The crew comprised a driver and a shunter who also opened and closed the hopper top covers."

Thank you Alan, this is great because of course it fuels my desire to build the 'One Point Clay' cameo, which is waiting on the release of the Cavalex CDAs...

If you've got photos or recollections you'd like to share, please do get in touch. In the meantime, more soon... 

Comments