6 axle MLW on BC Rail 1989…

You know when you’ve got a memory of something but you’re not sure, and it’s possible it’s your mind mixing up reality with books and photographs…

I had felt certain I had seen a BC Rail train north of Vancouver in 1989 but it wasn’t until I was scanning a few of Dad’s old slides recently that I found the proof…

MLW M630 719 and 707, August 1989, near Britannia Beach, photo Keith Hilton.

Well framed but of dubious quality, I suspect the train may well be moving slowly along the mainline north of Vancouver along the shores of Howe Sound towards Squamish. Of the locomotives, I’m no expert… both are Montreal Locomotive Works M630 units based on the Alco design. 719 still in lightning striped green, 707 the only unit I believe to receive the full late BC Rail colours sometime after 1988 but before this photo in August 1989, this was my favourite of the PGE/BCR/BC Rail liveries, and probably explains why I’ve chosen to model a CRS20, more on that soon…

Comments

  1. Hi James

    That is a nice photo and not of "dubious quality" as far as I can see. Judging by the flat cars of lumber, and having looked at a few photos on a couple of books on PGE/BC Rail, I think the train is southbound not northbound as that would normally be empties heading back to the mills in the interior.

    My wife and I ( well mainly me!! ) stopped to look at he disused smelter at Britannia in 2003 but did not see a train just lots of interesting mining railroad stuff

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan, you may be right with the loaded spine cars… I was going on the geography and recognising that along the stretch of the Howe Sound you’re running at the edge of the water…

      Today I believe the museum has been transformed, I’ve a slide of our visit in 1989 when the smelter shed was more decrepit…

      Delete
  2. Trackside around British Columbia 1966-1982 with Matt Herson >> lots of great color pics of the area including the BCR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s ‘on the list’! I’d love a copy, but next up needs to be some parts to progress he existing projects!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.