Cromford Wharf’s J94…

I picked up this old DJM J94 decorated as 68012 on eBay a month or so ago whilst deep in Cromford and High Peak inspiration…

Here it is, a good few steps closer to completion. It took me a few weeks to finally decide on a new identity, choosing 68013 as a prototype that saw out its end of days on the line and I’ve photos of working the wharf at Cromford Bottom. Once that was settled a trawl for prototype photos turned up enough to determine where she had warning flashes fitted and any peculiar details. Modelling from photographs is definitely the best way to capture a moment, turn that 2D image into an evocative model, and details as well as finish count.
To that end I noted the prototype did not have a tank side handrail, so this was removed and the holes filled. There is also a piece of pipework which seems to go from the balance pipe on the tank, behind the smokebox, to the cab, fabricated in brass wire. A pair of lamp irons beside the firebox are Bambi staples. Extra centre grabs above all round new RT models steps. 
These were all touched in with black paint. The original numbers were removed with IPA and a blade, before the paintwork was polished with wet and dry and then a cotton bud dipped in white spirit to provide a glossy surface for the number and flashes. These were sealed with Humbrol clear, and then the weathering touched in and added to with my usual mix.

Dry brushed gun metal has brought the edges to life but I still need to add some oil cans, a lamp, driver and once I’ve decided, couplings. I’d also like to add some micro painting, polish the paintwork, scuff it in other places… These photos are quite cruel close ups and by upping the brightness I’ve hi-lighted some slight silvering of the overhead flash decal on the tanks… trust me that is not visible in the flesh, and anyway, I’ll see if I can tone it down. For now I’ve enjoyed it, both the research and realisation and it can sit waiting for it’s layout just like other engines in my collection (like 1659, and Hecate!). Until next time, more soon…

Comments