Archive 2: Vowchurch 006.5…

Today's 'Archive' post introduces my favourite of the 006.5 layouts I have built, or considered building, one inspired by Brian Clarke's wonderful 'Slate Railway to Churchwater' book, Vowchurch...

This was built as a 'Dave Brewer challenge' entry for ExpoNG in 2018. Although attracting many favourable comments it was not successful on the day, but what it did show was how much of a model railway you could fit in a small space. The layout was a loop and three sidings, using the Busch 'set track' feldbahn system and a customised Gaugemaster controller with reduced voltage output to suit the Busch mechanisms. 

It worked well with the Taffson Evans and Jenkins locomotives and slate wagons - all became popular kits in the 6point5 range, and had the full blessing of Brian. 

A 009 Kerr Stuart 'Sirdar' model I had been asked to design transfers for visited Vowchuch at ExpoNG in 2018, balanced on the 'weigh bridge' at the adit.

The slate cutting shed was inspired by some of those at Corris, with big windows in the roof for extra light - I always regretted not fitting an interior in this building. The angles were carefully choreographed to make the layout seem bigger than it actually was.

The photos here were deemed never quite good or sensible enough to have been shared before, I have annotated them accordingly. Until tomorrow, more soon...

Comments

  1. Nice work. Never heard of this gauge/scale before and had to look it up. I’m dying to do something in narrow gauge as well so I’ve added something like this to my list of possibles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Tim and I coined the phrase, at least in our circles a few years ago and things have gone from there, good luck with your project, remember it doesn’t need to be 006.5 to be small space, as my latest 009 project Creech Barn shows, but it does allow more of a complete layout feel in a smaller space, plus it’s very cute.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.