Friday Update: Two Twelve Twenty-two…

Back to work with a bump, after the excitement and energy of last weekend's Warley exhibition it's been back to reality here in North Wales with cold mornings, low cloud, mist and fog and those that know the area will recognise the chill that comes from that damp air that hangs in the valley until it burns off finally early afternoon to only be replaced a few hours later by a fresh influx of mixed air temperatures from the Corwen basin and or Cheshire plain...


What that does occasionally mean is true wonder - we have had more than our fair share of 'wow's this week on the school run. This photo above shows the view towards Whitchurch from Garth, high on the hill between Ruabon and Llangollen - and we've had similar moments although not quite as easy to photograph watching cloud formations on the Berwyns as they drop down a mountain side and fill one of the high valleys that sit above the main Dee valley. Truly wonderful (but VERY cold now in the workshop!).


You know, after all this hype you'd think I was done with Victory, but no, and this latest commission is something a little different. The customer who commissioned the outside framed Ruston has also commissioned this 'Rio Tinto' esque model. A combination of custom designed 3D printed parts and much scratchbuild piping runs have completely changed the look of our Planet Industrials model, and I am really looking forward to the painting and weathering. 

A few of you spoke to me at Warley about commissioning weathering on Victory again. I am now opening a 'batch' of weathering service, if I can get enough interest I will undertake a 2 stage weathering for £40 (including fitting plates) and if you supply the crew then I can paint and fit these for £20. Coal can be added for £10. These are the best I can do in a smaller batch, drop me a note to put your name down.


One of our most popular Narrow Planet kits has always been the Bagnall saddle tank. Alas, although still available the Minitrains Krauss chassis is harder to come by and more expensive and to that end I have re-designed the model to use the Bachmann N gauge Percy. The same etched parts are used, I've quickly assembled a test print above to check all fits as it should. This was one of my early kits, and these days I'd do things differently but we're still asked for the model, so a batch is now in manufacture and may well be available before Christmas if you're looking for a stocking filler. Keep an eye on Light Railway Stores Facebook for news.


Edging towards completion the large scale Cli-shay has had the 'water supply' problem addressed with this pair of 1/12 scale oil drums, strapped in place with a 25 year old show lace with a Planet Industrials tension lock forming the buckle! Scratchbuilding at it's best??!!! I hope to share the completed model early next week with a full write up on it's gestation and creation.


So after all the industrial work in recent weeks you'd think I'd be shying away from them in my own modelling but I continue to enjoy running the odd train on Pont-y-dulais and tinkering with my fleet. Digging about in the 'man drawer' in the house I found the missing handrail from my Yorkshire 'Janus' so I painted and fitted these, as well as sorting out the cab painting and have re-assembled the model to determine whether I want to keep it, or sell it on when it's finished. This is the one I added an extra flywheel to and it runs very nicely, but it's a bit bright these days! The model is actually based on those that ran at the steelworks up the road at Brymbo, but it needs weathering whatever happens to it. I've also been ballasting on Beaverbrook, so I'llt ry and grab some more progress photos over the weekend. I hope you manager to find some railway or modelling related time this weekend, even if only stopping by tomorrow for another Hilton and Mears long read (becoming a bit of a Saturday tradition). Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Some truly awesome photos there. You are very lucky to catch the winter sun so well. The "Rio Tinto" conversion is coming on really well. Would be good to see it working on a layout in the future
    I like the Yorkshire 0-6-0DE. I saw a few over the years but the first were actually at Brymbo. Will look out my notes and see if any useful photos.

    Have a good weekend

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.