Friday Update: Nine Twelve Twenty-two…

I write this from the lounge sofa with a mid-morning coffee (a little early perhaps, but it's very cold) looking out on a heavy frost, brightness shining through the fog over the river and a slight flurry of the white stuff floating gently in the air...


Very beautiful yes, but incredibly cold here - and I'm grateful for sharing some warmth with our little dog. In the (very very cold) workshop I've been working on just two active commissions this week. The Bowaters 16mm scale SAR Class 91 diesel is dimensionally a good start but very basic. I've been working on upping the detail, but balancing the 'character' of the kit. For example, the truck frames are inaccurate in their shape, and obviously too flat. Rather than replace these integral parts I've added some detailed overlays, to ape the more characterised elements including axle box, suspension and brake components. These are hopefully enough to get the mind to read in the rest of the detail - and the overlays over the spoked wheels do seem to be a big improvement.


The bodywork is similarly getting a general lift. More detailed 3D printed components I've designed are now added (headlights and rear sandboxes). Overlays and bolt detail are adding some relief to other elements, and the final touch will be the etched overlays for the door clasps and grill surrounds. I'm currently working up a lift off roof, so that will add more of a finished look to the model. Hoping to complete her early in the New Year, to free up space to make a concerted effort on the next 7/8ths Ruston batch...


The other project active is the Rio Tinto 'Victory'. This is now looking nearly finished, painted in gloss black to allow me to fit the numbers to the side tanks - these custom markings are drawn up and I'm waiting waterslide transfers from my supplier, then a heavy weathering will follow and it will be exciting to see this peculiar yet characterful locomotive come to life! It's destined to join the Ruston I did earlier in the year, and hopefully catches the character of the North British prototypes.


As Christmas approaches and I ponder the 'layout' project, thoughts turned back to these small shelves I aquired from my Mum, who picked them up at IKEA (Mosslanda - 55cm long, 12cm deep). Could a small project be built to 'slot' into this? I'm sure I can find somewhere in the workshop to display this shallow shelf! Perhaps under Pont-y-dulais even - we shall see... 


I am hoping to be able to make my way to the Manchester exhibition this weekend, all being well - it's a bit of a trek but I fancy a day out as a punter rather than exhibitor. Whatever your plans this weekend I hope you find some space for your hobby. Until next time, more soon...
 



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments