Lost and found…

Our railways both past and present are all around us on this small island. Last week on my return from Pembrokeshire I made sure to check in on something I was sure still existed…

Rails in the road at Llandinam.

This track in a small B road in mid Wales is in fact a small reminder of the once great ex Cambrian line from Moat Lane to Brecon. Buried whilst the rails either side were cut away, located at Llandinam (Clan-dee-nam) yes, those of you who are familiar with my book will remember the scheme! I had spotted the rails remaining in the road in a Google Maps street view when I was researching the plan, but my route back from South to North Wales is more typically via Machynlleth (Mach-un-leth) than Welshpool but a different destination meant this route made sense and I wasn’t going to miss the chance!

Stopped on the A470 whilst a 158 crosses the road, photo taken by my daughter stretched over from the passenger seat.

The short stop meant I was stuck behind some lorries then, which fortuitously meant I actually saw a train in the railway at Caersws! A 4 car (2x 2 car 158) Sprinter heading for Shrewsbury and beyond. My little VW UPgti (I must do a post about my car history one day) was on the whole comfortable with the odd opportunity for a bit of fun on the eventual 6h31m door to door trip via East Cheshire! Not bad on fuel considering almost all the driving was A Welsh roads.

UP GTi. I’ve actually seen 70+ mpg on a steady run from this little pocket warm hatch.

Perhaps a railway related detour could be ‘engineered’ into your own Christmas travels? Until next time though, more soon…

Comments