On the rails: Manchester exhibition…

It’s a late one today! Up with the larks though and hitting the road shortly after 8 after serious de-icing  saw me at Ruabon station to catch the 8.55am train to Chester…


Arriving 10 minutes late it was the Birmingham International to Holyhead service which reverses at Chester formed of two 158 ‘Super Sprinters’. Comfortable and the work horses of many Transport for Wales services, definitely my second favourite modern ish unit (behind the 150 as I’m sure I’ve mentioned before). 


Arriving into a snowy Chester things were busy. Lots to see whilst waiting for the Manchester train, and it became apparent there was a problem with the train to Leeds which didn’t move the whole time I was there, blocking the route through Platform 4. Our train was diverted into 3 and then had to reverse and head briefly towards the Wirral before a run down the Merseyrail platform to leave via Platform 7, all this due to a frozen turnout on the line to Manchester. Still lots to see, but sadly no locomotives. 508s, 175s, 158, 150 and whatever the Northern CAF units are…


Stabled out the back of the station were quite collection of 2 car CAF units for TFW. I don’t like the look of these at all, and worry they don’t look up to British weather conditions but we shall see. I can see snow being a problem with their front ends, and the exposed wheels and discs with inside bearing trucks look very light weight compared to what we’re used to… time will tell if they serve as well as the last of the British built units that have done over 30 years.


Our train in and out of Manchester was a 175 which I’ve not travelled on before and I was really impressed. Comfortable and quiet, not much vibration and lovely and warm. Just more ugly than the 158s some how… anyway, enough about that, all in all a successful trip. We arrived a little late into Manchester but the trains were clean, the staff were polite and information easy to find. Another successful trip by public transport which means more where that came from for me! Until next time, where I’ll share more on the show (tomorrow) more soon…

Comments

  1. Don’t worry too much about those inside bearing bogies, they’ve done many millions of miles under Voyagers and Meridians over the last twenty years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, funnily enough not overly worried, just don’t like these new units, they’ve not quite for the same aesthetic as things from the past. The Northern ones without gangways are prettier but less useful I guess…

      Delete
    2. Agree about the aesthetics. I still can’t get my head around the removal of the full yellow ends. Somehow it just doesn’t look right to me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.