Friday Update: Twenty-one Seven Twenty-three…

As heat waves blaze across Europe we are stuck firmly in the Spring here in the Dee Valley. Drizzle, cool and overcast it’s been a somewhat depressing end to the school term…


Those cooler temperatures certainly help my productivity though and good progress has been made on both large commissions in the past few days - working both digitally and with my hands they’re not quick jobs but ones with achievable smaller milestones to mark the gargantuan effort that will be required to get them over the line.


The commissioned book is more than just plans and illustration and has involved masses of research and background reading - helping to inform the writing that accompanies these schemes. It was tricky to find my voice in someone else’s project but I’ve managed to craft something I’m proud of - it’s not a James Hilton work that follows my other books but is aimed at newcomers to the hobby and will be interesting to see how the it is turned from raw components into the finished article by the publisher.


The final parts for the Ruston LB arrived and so this project is now moving along nicely. Above, you see work begins with a part check to make sure I’ve not forgotten anything, in this case the only problem was the wrong sized wheels had been sourced but thanks to Slaters great service the correct ones arrived mid week and didn’t hold up progress. As I type this the glue is drying on the four rolling chassis conplete with gearboxes and chain drive. 


As a tonic it’s been enjoyable working on my Farish 03, destined for Gerald Road (more on this over the weekend). I’ve updated the paintwork to match the prototype and renumbered it - 03382 was allocated to Bristol in the 70s through the early 80s. I’ve switched white handrails to blue and reverse, I’ve painted bits yellow and other bits black and sealed it all with a dull lacquer ahead of further weathering.

I’ll sign off today with that cameo from Beaverbrook this week, the TerraTransport S13 is still knocking about and the crew here of work extra 8704 are trying to contact the foreman at the Holcim cement plant. The kit built resin S13 is from Kaslo, aging cylindrical hopper repainted Atlas and the figures from Modelu. The ability to get lost in a scene I almost remember from my youth? Priceless.

I hope you all manage a good weekend with some time for your own hobby. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments