Seahouses for the Farne Islands…

I’ve said it before, that in this wonderful country you’re never far from a railway, or former railway. When I booked our week away in the Northumbrian coastal village of Seahouses I hadn’t heard of the North Sunderland Railway…


However whilst looking for footpaths on the Ordnance Survey app I found the familiar markings of a disused railway and Google turned up the history of the North Sunderland. A wander into town and I found the car park and last remaining evidence - a stone base in the wall behind the car park!


Wandering for just under 5 miles from what is now the East Coast Mainline its purpose was to connect the thriving port of Seahouses with the rest of the world. The local business people realised the big companies would not build the line so the independent railway was born. Operated later by the LNER the line survived until 1951 and throughout its history operated with small distinctive locomotives. The compact nature of the station has been further compressed in my caricature to allow you a home for your forthcoming Rapido Y7… you could stretch reality and get away with a Bachmann J72 as well. Passenger accommodation in generic 2 axle carriages from Hornby or Hattons. I also pondered the possibility of a modern take, imagining the branch survived and instead of Chathill, the mainline terminus of the route being the northern extremity of the Northern franchise, what if… a Dapol Pacer in N would allow a shelf layout barely over 2 ft long to be practical.


So another holiday done, and with it some fresh inspiration. If you have a germ of an idea but would like some help developing your own layout design, large or small then get in touch for a chat. My layout design brief process works well and helps you and I develop an illustrated and researched plan that feels as much your own as of my hand and imagination. Prices start from around £175. Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I love obscure light railways and the North Sunderland has appealed for a long time. It was also a pioneer of modern traction being one of the first users of diesel locomotives ( an Armstrong Whitworth) in regular service. I like your sketches. As usual, you've given me food for thought James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a lovely spot to spend a week too… well worth a visit to soak up some atmosphere.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have a Y7 on order, and various books on the shelf....

      Delete
    3. I wondered if the forthcoming Ruston 88DS might be a stand in for the diesel too…

      Delete
    4. James, yes, that thought has crossed my mind.

      Delete
  2. For years I've been pondering how to model the NSR. Rapido are actually making the NSR Y7 as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James

    Several years ago we had a family Christmas in Beadnell just down from Seahouses and I discovered the remains of the NSR as you did. I tried to walk some of the line but the December weather was against it. It is a pity maybe, that traffic was largely fish and passengers. A few miles further south and probably coal traffic would have been significant. However this might have changed its character significantly.

    I have a copy of the Oakwood Press book published in 1967. This states the company was "independent until the end although it needed support from the LNER and the government. It hired rolling stock including locos from the LNER but owned a 060ST Manning Wardle from the start and the Armstrong Whitworth 0-4-0D. If your thoughts progress further I am happy to lend you the book

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Alan, I think I’ve managed to avoid temptation and focus back on my own two projects, Gerald Road and Beaverbrook.

      Delete
  4. Hi James

    Yes I know its good to wander down the branch lines and overgrown sidings every now and again, but I find keeping some degree of focus helps in making progress however slow in my case

    I assume the class 150 you put on e-bay was the result of some NSR thoughts. Strange to see it in the livery of my ex-employer. I knew we ran buses in the north-east in that livery, but thought the rail franchise was only in Wales. However it was a while ago when I was involved

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the 150 was for another scheme but yes, a single platform single track ‘modern’ branch line terminus a little closer to home.

      Delete
  5. I find myself coming back to this idea as a first foray into 7mm.. I'm wondering about doing something a little differnet, Perhaps focussing on the engine shed and warehouse and moving a partially modelled station building slightly offstage on the other side of a version of Pasture Hill Bridge , a bit like the scenery in the wings of Albion Rd.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.