The joy of Creech Grange…

These rare photos recently discovered show the original 18" gauge railway at Creech Grange in Dorset. Not to be confused with the more modern 2ft gauge recreation, the original railway served the hall just north west of Corfe...


I have written about the history of this often overlooked estate railway in the past but these photos were found whilst digging through old archives at the 'new' 2ft gauge museum, located in the grounds of the old hall and better known for it's collection of old plantation 2ft gauge locomotives.


Whilst I have discontinued the 6point5 range this year I still enjoy these cute little models. They have a wonderful sense of character and watching their slow progress around this small oval of track brings great joy, more than many could imagine. I have documented the build of the layout (Creech Grange) and the locomotives (Hunslet 'Eleanor' and Exmoor 'James') along with the stock on the blog - if you wish to learn more then a little search will throw up the relevant posts.


For now though, I hope you enjoy these snapshots of joy. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I hope that you one day reintroduce the 6.5 range. I'd love to try building in this scale/gauge but I procrastinated for too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sorry, it is dead and buried, I have no interest in persevering with it - very low sales and a lot of hassle trying to keep chassis in stock, even more trouble trying to source track! I’m sorry you didn’t get the chance to play with it, I’m sure my 009 kits might scratch a similar itch?

      Delete
  2. *
    Given that James has withdrawn his 6.5 range, may I offer Jeremy a suggestion?

    I speak as one who has built and exhibited five minimum gauge layouts - two in 1:25 scale on 16.5 track, and three in 1:43.5 scale on 9mm track (if you will "O9") - and do therefore understand the attraction. I am currently experimenting in what for me will be a new scale/gauge combination what will almost exactly echo the proportions of the 6.5 range but in a larger scale.

    My new layout is 1:55 scale (5.5mm to the ft) on 9mm track which scales out almost perfectly for 50cm and is very close to 20ins gauge. Track used is the readily available Peco "OO9" and there is a wide range of chassis, locomotive mechanisms, wheelsets, etc available from "OO9" and "N" gauge suppliers. As I say scale to gauge proportions are very, very similar to the use of 4mm scale on 6.5 track.

    Christopher Payne
    cp@portpyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good suggestion, thanks Christopher!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to see 6point5 retiring. Thanks for going to through the hassle of making it all happen. I am lucky enough to have been able to collect three 6point5 loco kits and a good range of rolling stock as well. I have really enjoyed building the kits and planning a minimum gauge railway. Thanks for creating such a great collection, I look forward to you next project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.