Bleak Bland Bubble…

Next month you will find one of my N gauge layouts in the mainstream press. The resultant fee has already been recycled into another purchase, another gateway model, the Dapol N gauge 'bubble car', the humble Class 121 (or 122)...

I have almost bought one of these several times over the past year or so - the perfect 'HiFi' DMU, short enough to maximise running length on even the smallest of layouts. In reality, the saviour of a number of characterful branch lines and today, synomous with small layouts. As Wrecsam Canalog draws to a close the idea of undertaking a second small HiFi appealed and whilst scouring my list of 'single line branch terminus' settled on developing two ideas a little further.

870404 Stourbridge Town

The first is Stourbridge Town - and set in the 80s before the station was rebuilt with new platform and building. The austere bus shelter and winter setting feels bleak AND bland - the only colour being the yellow ends of the humble DMU. In N the scheme allows a subtle flow in the track, a caricature of the prototype. In OO things feel more intimate - and some horizontal compression and artistic licence will be required - but both ideas sing to me, what do you think?

Stourbridge Town - illustration by James Hilton, photos Jonathan Haven (https://flic.kr/p/ahNDvH) and Don Gatehouse (https://flic.kr/p/2mfKSz4).

The second idea was inspired by a photo I saw on Facebook of the Severn Beach terminus with waiting bubble car, a cold winters day, a lady on the platform in warm coat, braced against the weather. Bleak and bland, the distant chemical works providing a moody silouette against a wintry overcast and otherwise bland sky. Recreating to scale would be difficult in a HiFi but drawing inspiration and re-framing the key components would allow a small N scale scene packed full of character. The trains ran into Platform 1 at Temple Meads - a characterful photo taken at night really had the feeling of a single line terminus, despite the wider station beyond. I wonder, perhaps in O, you could really go to town on a view 'from' the platform, with the window at platform level, and the trackbed below the HiFi's frame. LEDs could be hidden in the lid to ape platform lighting, perhaps even the TV screen could light up with the destination!

Severn Beach branch - illustration by James Hilton, photos Roger Goodrum (https://flic.kr/p/DPL8mg) and Don Gatehouse (https://flic.kr/p/2nf1vpL)

Of course, these are just a pair of a long list of suitable projects - but two that I felt compelled to illustrate. Will either be built, I'm not sure, I'm keen to try out a winter setting and have a few ideas I'd like to try, so perhaps a Mosslanda with the Severn Beach idea is the way to proceed? Who know, perhaps if I do a third then I'd have a trilogy of Mosslanda SLTs? Perhaps their very own exhibition? 

Let me know what you think - or if you'd like help designing your own dream layout then my layout design service starts from £175. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Sinfin looked pretty bland and characterless. I remember the opening photographs in one of the magazines in the 70s, positively anaemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look that one up! Certainly bland, full of that bleak character too!

      Delete
  2. I've been looking at Stourbridge myself as a response to your Wreicsam Canalog idea (possible doing an impression of the whole run made out of a series of 3-5 cameos). Love the look and feel of your Temple Meads idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that’s interesting, I think I’d model it as one massive cameo on a thin shelf… the Temple Meads idea is neat isn’t it, yes…
      The Dapol 121 has arrived here and whilst it looks lovely it’s a bit of a dog mechanically. I don’t think I could recommend it. In N the Farish stuff is great, and the 101 isn’t much longer than a 121. In OO I’d probably use the Bachmann 121.

      Delete
  3. The Bay platforms in use at Wolverhampton could be a possible alternative too (especially with a 101). https://flic.kr/p/Dfbd2q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think bay platforms offer the HiFi Micro another great avenue to explore. A previous scheme on here was looking at Chester Platform 1. They provide us a window or suggestion of a larger station whilst closely cropped to what can be physically modelled in a small space. The cropping makes the scene more intimate, only increasing the ‘story’ factor.

      Delete
  4. This is the era of British Rail that I grew up in, so this does resonate with me. I've planned a few schemes for my dull blue DMU in 00 scale, because it's what I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must get out some of my OO models again Ian, they’ve been thinned down but I’ve kept favourites. I wonder what might result?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.