Clean and dirty…

Back at the beginning of November I visited the model shop in Chester for some plastic and paint supplies and came away with a new wagon…



It’s something that I’d not done for probably twenty odd years, made an ad-hoc wagon purchase. I’m usually one for planning and researching these things to ensure I get the best value for money. However, there was something just ‘so’ about this white TTA tank wagon and so it found its way home with me.



Whilst DG couplings have been fitted for over a month it wasn’t until this week that I decided I must add some weathering to blend it in with Paxton Road and it’s rolling stock. That said, from the few photos I’ve found of the prototypes in service they seemed very clean, I wonder how long were in service in this repainted livery before the cessation of Speedlink, and how long the chemical flows survived afterwards?


The usual 33/98 wash was applied to the underframe and base of the tank, remembering the N gauge mantra of keeping things neat. Humbrol 72 was thinned and painted along the middle of the barrel and let ‘go off’. Enamel users will know what I mean here, the dry that still rubs off… then a wide flat thinner moistened brush was used to begin to remove most of this leaving just a subtle staining and some streaks. Careful painting of the roof walkway then ensured things looked consistent and I tidied up and finger prints or splashes on the rest of the white tank.


Paired with the bland 08, quite how it has arrived at Paxton Road is anyone’s guess, but I do enjoy its markings and bright nature amongst some of the other stock. As ideas brew for a follow up, one thing is certain, a yard would give me the greatest flexibility! We shall see, until next time more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments