Friday Update: Three Eleven Twenty-three...

Welcome to Friday, I have made it successfully through half term without loosing my mind - and despite the road being closed for several days whilst it was resurfaced - as well as rain and drizzle most days. We are here and the sun is shining…


We will start with a big thank you to all of you who have bought a copy of my new (or old) book. This week has seen it become available at other book shops beyond The Titfield Thunderbolt including Rail-books and Bill Hudson (if you’d like me to list your book shop here get in touch). We have seen the first review (cheers Paul) and I’ve had some lovely messages from friends and early purchasers… all is going well, and to quote Simon at Titfield “Just to say that sales are going incredibly well, in truth we have been slightly overwhelmed and are all working today to get orders out, many about to "hit the system" this afternoon”. Fantastic support, thank you all again. 


I have said since the start of the N gauge adventure that it was diesel only for me, that steam would remain a OO focus. The arrival of a Graham Farish ‘Western Rambler’ trainset last weekend put pay to that and a happy hour was spent unpacking and setting up the loop on the kitchen table, just testing you understand. The controller is superb, but the track a little poor - locomotive and stock beautifully finished as we have come to expect from Barwell. So what does this mean in reality? Plans for a GWR in the 1960s cameo are marinading nicely, the locomotive and stock to be repainted. 00 wagons and locomotives are being further thinned, I have some on eBay at the moment and I’ll shortly be listing a range of kit build Parkside stock… longer term who knows but the scenic opportunity of N in small spaces is still fuelling my British imagination at present and I love it.


It being half term I took the kids to Chester (shoe shopping!) and decided to take the train. I was worried things might be very busy, the use of a two car unit on these longer runs doesn’t leave much capacity for those of us who just turn up on the day, but to be fair we had seats in both directions and sadly we had new 197s too whilst the old 175s lay dormant at Chester depot. Comfortable but slightly asthmatic it will be interesting to see how the CAF units fair, I have my doubts they’ll make the birthdays being enjoyed by the stalwart 150/2s… hero units the drivers call them. In Chester a trip to the model centre, where I found two more tins of discontinued Humbrol shades (shame on you Hornby for this, it’s unfair to push us towards acrylics when we continue to support your enamel range) and some styrene section. An impulse buy also saw a Farish wagon join the Speedlink era stock, quite why methanol arrives at Paxton Road is anyone’s guess, yet, but I like the colours on this one! The sad thing was seeing the Evergreen display massively depleted, this is a quality and friendly model shop but I made a point of noting to the assistant that if they don’t re-order the basics I’ll stop going. It’s these ‘consumables’ that get me in the door…


In commission news, I’m afraid it’s a one story show this time, as work has focused on Ffestiniog 009 all week - the realisation that I just don’t have space to progress Leatown at the same time meaning all my focus has been in moving this forwards with pace, whilst deeply enjoyable this level of focus does see very quick progress and track is down, painted, ballasted and structures are well in hand. The custom printed backscene arrived this week too and what a difference that makes, it almost feels instantly finished! As I write the engine shed and structures are being painted, and onto greenery and details next week.


This weekend I’m not sure whether it will be old or new projects that grab my attention, whilst I have trees, Gerald Road, Beaverbrook and new layout ideas all vying for space in my head, heart and on the bench. One thing I have come to accept over the years is that it doesn’t matter, there is no right answer. This hobby is a wonderful pursuit, an artistic craft to enjoy and practice that need not the pressures of ‘fonishing’ or ‘order’. My variety of ideas and models at different stages means there is always something that feels right in the moment. Enjoy your weekend, and if you’ve got a copy of my book to read, I hope you enjoy that, let me know what you think! Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Love the backscene. That magnificent view places the layout instantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart, it's not quite the right angle but I think so too, one of my own photos which is nice.

      Delete
  2. Good to see the 64xx back on sale albeit in a set, but it is a good starting point for an Aberaeron 74xx.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.