On the rails: Warley 2023…

Yesterday I joined George and Steve for a day out to the annual Warley model railway exhibition in the NEC. The internet will be awash with photos and videos of the show, so rather I’ll do a bit of a commentary on my thoughts about presentation at the show…

150213 leads an unidentified 158 forming a Chester to Birmingham International service on Sunday 26th November 2023, Ruabon. Regular readers will know 150/2 are my favourite units, they sound great and are comfortable and feel spacious. I was delighted to get a table seat, George joined me at Shrewsbury. It was cold though, heating could have done with turning up!

On the whole a massive variety of layouts, mostly of the traditional style. I might have views against this sort of presentation these days, but the effort that these modellers have gone to, to share their work with us for two unpaid days at an exhibition should not go un-noticed. Thank you one and all.

My layout commentary will be missing names, but the story is about why I took the photo… in this case the presentation was impressive, I loved the idea, I loved the modelling - too much (and too large / deep) for home, but at an exhibition a chance to show off the best of Railway Modelling. Pop some modern image for me and I’d be happy! Sadly not running when I saw it, which took something away from the idea I felt.

This layout had a lovely meandering feel to the scenery and I loved the scratch-built elements - the station was very impressive. Less impressive was the overall presentation. Poorly lit and with a low backscene and no drapes. Distracting. Not helped by poor running. 

A layout I do know! Bridport town, wonderful wonderful wonderful. We stood and watched this for half an hour. Flawless operation and consistent, neat modelling. The holistic effect superbly convincing… all that was missing was a ‘story’ to explain what we were witnessing. Traditional presentation but well lit, imagine this with a dedicated lighting pelmet.

I loved this layout for its stock and impressive scenery. Perhaps a little too tidy, but well weathered. Sadly not behaving itself. Locos needing the hand of god several times in the few minutes I watched. In my opinion spoilt again by traditional presentation which felt only necessary as it was operated from the rear? Put a DCC panel at the front and??

Tiny photo of a massive layout. Wonderful too, lovely scenic modelling on a grand scale. I massively disliked the joins in the back scene as they spoilt the impact but a lovely layout to watch, albeit I’d suggest beyond plausible reality! If you can suspend belief on such a grand narrow gauge project you're in for a treat as honestly, it's lovely . Nice to see Paul and James again too, it’s been too long without ExpoNg!

Wonderful to see something different in 009, big locos in a small space, Fort Whiting by Charlie Insley is neatly conceived but would look even better presented higher and as a cameo box… 009 in this format is interesting, as these days I wonder if it has the potential for hands free operation, and higher levels of presentation.

This layout had more scenery without trains than with, despite its tiny size. A neat idea, but I didn’t like the tiny backscene. Generally very nicely modelled stock, and fine work on the scenery - I wasn’t sold on the stone walls, which looked as they were dipped in grit, but I did love the chapel and it’s incredible neat fencing and working crossing gates. The extension was lovely on a curve too, which balanced well with the main scenic area and gave you longer to enjoy the trains running. Traditional presentation again feels like a let down with such a neat concept?

This P4 K&ESR ran very well, nice scenery, but I wonder if it would have been a little easier to take on with some artistic compression. Another ‘traditional’ layout let down by a poor backscene.

Bron Hebog needs no introduction. Massive, impressive… though dare I say it, a little boring for the general public after a few minutes? Trains take so long to come down the S bend that nothing is moving at the front of the scene. Well modelled and in great condition considering how long ago it was I first saw this behemoth. If you’ve not seen it, you’ll be impressed. A layout that defies traditional presentation with its physical size, no comments on presentation.

David Gander’s Green End, lovely as usual, and to see you again David. 7 feet long and a foot deep. No backscene. Neat modelling, consistent palette. What is nice is now intimate it feels at the exhibition - the backscene or lack of it invites operator and viewer to share the experience as equals. Doesn’t photograph well though. 

This was a boring layout to watch, trains making noise and running slowly, great (don’t underestimate reliability!) but too big for that really, as most of the layout had nothing going on for that reason. This ‘long shot’ does show off the lovely trackwork in the throat, and the joy of seeing real railway junctions. Reasonable presentation too actually, but as I say, it felt too big for the style of operation.

A European metre gauge layout. Neat cameo presentation, interesting with the valley rising steeply behind the structures, the trees melding to a backscene of trees, very intimate. Well lit, ran well. Neat details.

I really loved this tiny H0f wagon load!

My final commentary, a Chinese layout! Smog coloured backscene, big, well presented but slightly dimly lit. Impressive, different and plenty moving. Entertaining.

Trade that took my eye…. Which wasn’t much! (Paul has a much better covering of trade material if you're keen to see what was announced / sample models).

Wonderful Model Rail / Revolution VofR tank, this thing is a beast, Steve and I pondering Narrow Planet ‘Indian style’ conversions already!

Generally very impressed with this too, the Revolution 66. Poor paint on the EWS one, I’m assured as they were rushed out of the factory for the show. Lovely to see this tooled and only 6 months from delivery.

The Yeoman 59 was and still is incredibly tempting. The only ‘new’ OO model I kept from Childhood was my Lima example, as this model, 59001 but common sense has prevailed to date. No where for it in my collection really. 

All in all an expensive but worthwhile day out, a chance to be selfish and have some time to myself, to enjoy the company of good friends, to meet some familiar faces and to say hello to new ones! A pretty uneventful journey home, although my 150/2 and 158 combo lost time throughout, the train is pathed for 90mph but as far as I recall 75 is the max for a 150? There was also a funny noise coming from my 158 by the time we got to Shrewsbury but it limped on and I was only 5 minutes late back to Ruabon.

New Street windows on windows. 

158836, perhaps a little poorly, these elderly work horses are thrashed every day and we’re new in the 1990s! Not bad for a 30 year old machine. Comfortable and warm, I’m always pleased to see one or the 150/2s on the Ruabon line.

I hope this rather disjointed and ill conceived post gives you a window in to my world. Re-reading I sound quite negative, my apologies, I enjoyed the trip, and it was lovely to meet a few blog readers who recognised me too! I feel we have the opportunity to raise our game here, and I see lots of opportunity. Perhaps I should now lead be example? Normal (ish) service will resume tomorrow, so until then, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I actually passed by the NEC on Sunday with time to spare but never bothered to go in. I went around five years ago but I think I like the idea of a railway model more than the reality, something operating in that non-Euclidian space inside your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warley for me, is a social gathering. I think despite Rice and all espousing the idea of improved presentation over 30 years ago it’s slightly disappointing that we as a hobby have not move towards more artful and story telling in our work. But where else can I see friends, work acquaintances and meet blog readers all in one place? Mind, I preferred ExpoNG in the old days, that was much more progressive in its content and I always enjoyed seeing familiar faces.

      Delete
    2. I went to ExpoNG down in Greenwich about 30 years ago. Now that dates me.

      Delete
  2. Green End - in my mind one of the best 009 layouts on the circuit (even though David keeps saying it's retired). As you say the colour palette and modelling style is consistent, but more importantly (for me) the layout is believable, that is you could imagine it as a real place. Too many n.g. layouts spoil the illusion with superfluous sidings and cameos, David has managed to get the balance right whilst still adding some operational interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, I think you’re right. The plausible nature of his work is also very endearing, I was glad to see it in the flesh again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.