Friday Update: Seventeen Eleven Twenty-three…

I enjoy the variety of commissions that cross my bench. I’m blessed to have such wonderful customers who trust me with their cherished models…


As the Ffestiniog layout commission draws to a close (and I'll share completed photos next week) I've made a start on something quite unique! What you see here is a RT Models Sentinel - but modified to drop the motor and drive as low in the frames as possible, as the bodywork is due to be heavily modified too, chopped to represent the locomotive in use at Par docks (home of those infamous Bill and Ben / Alfred and Judy cut down Bagnalls!), where a low bridge under the mainline meant limited headroom for any locomotive. I'm going to enjoy this one - already some head scratching but we've got a powered low profile chassis now, and that's the first and in this case probably most complicated alteration made. You'll note I've managed to retain a degree of compensation. My customer doesn't intend the model to cover many miles, or haul heavy trains, so I've used a piece of brass rod on the base of the motor to act as a 'pivot' for the compensation in the unpowered axle. The model will be very light footed but should manage one or two free wheeling wagons on a level layout - all that is required. 


Beyond the bench I've been mulling over the next structure I want to build for Gerald Road. Here you can see a mock up of the warehouse that really did live on the corner of this street of the Avonside Wharf branch - but it's complex roof line is a problem - because the angled wall in the foreground in reality was much longer - and effectively 'the front' of the structure. It's pitched roof therefore meant the parapet had to step up (as seen on the wall above the yellow car). In my caricature this isn't possible - so I'm pondering how to retain the character of the real structure whilst creating a believable roof line. Eagle eyed blog readers will note the pub has gained some wonderful Modelu chimney pots - more on that soon too!


A sneak peak showing further progress on anther personal 'quick' project - a Welsh N gauge scene. This is the evolution of the work done on Pont Llanio (shared earlier this week). Whilst I'm not quite ready to share the full story, you can see here the composition has evolved to a hard shell of scenery and with the lighting and wiring installed is now ready for track laying!


Here in the valley the rails are slowly gaining a rusty orange hue as the Llangollen Railway slumbers for a few weeks until 'Santa' season. I was lucky to catch the 127 last weekend at the crossing in the village, the DMU group deserve a great deal of praise and recognition - not only have they been the driving force behind the operational saviour of the line, but they turn out tidy, neat and well presented stock time and again. Watching Pete Waterman and James May on the Swindon and Cricklade drive a tatty 108 reminds me not to be complacent with what we have here - a heart felt thanks to all who are involved.


I've been asked by a few of you about my plans for Warley - well, I do hope to be there but I won't be exhibiting and we don't have a Planet Industrials stand (that story will be told another day). Current thoughts are attending on the Sunday, so if you're about do let me know, I'd love to meet any of you there - I hope that you have a relaxing weekend ahead, I am looking forward to passing Boston Lodge on to it's owner as well as working on my own layouts again (as well as more 'Dad taxi'). Until next time though, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments