This is N: Paxton Road details…

One of the delights of Paxton Road’s eye level display is the ability to get completely and utterly lost in its tiny envelope. This in turn invites you to add further detail, not cliched or posed, just small well observed detail that helps tell the story…


I have begun to collect a few ‘modern’ modern image models, this pair of 08s being destined for a new project inspired by AV Dawson at Middlesbrough goods - but that’s a few down the list so for now they comfortably, occasionally can call Paxton Road home. I’ve removed the steam era details from the Farish models reducing the clutter on the back of the cab and added DG couplings and the air hoses but for some time I’ve wondered about looking for some N scale tail lamps. A recent order with Modelu for crew (Ffestiniog) and chimneys (Gerald Road) gave me the opportunity to try some of their modern offerings. Painted off white with a dab of black for a lens they’re literally tiny. Chopping off the vertical part of the Farish lamp iron means you can glue these directly in place - 417 has one on the cab back, whereas 441 has one stored on the running plate. I love these models, their finish and this layout. I shared this photo with my good friend Chris

“I love how far into this photo I can zoom and it never gives up that this is N”.


N scale is still obviously a toy, but the models run well, capture the character of their prototypes and run well out of the box and offer us a tiny world of possibilities. For many years I overlooked these properties as many of you could well be doing too - I hope my own discovery of the scale at least peeks your interest, perhaps take a look at a model next time you’re at your local model shop or exhibition? Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Something that has changed drastically in my lifetime is that it is no longer easy to identify the scale from a photo. and in N/2mm scale I think it is the shift away from being good for big landscape models, like Chee Tor, to shots like this.

    I won't say I'm not tempted, not least by that Farish set with the class 24.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks a great set too, I’ve got the Western Rambler here and it’s opened another rabbit hole for me!

      Delete
  2. I agree with James about the identification of scale. You've accomplished a wonderful example of what can be done in N, as has well-known master Lance Mindheim with his remarkable prototypical forays in N. You mention N scale being still a toy and in ways I agree but I have come to see breaking this is fully in the control of the modeler, as it is in all scales--and there are many examples of toy-like modeling in scales up to and larger than 1:32. It doesn't take much to make the leap, primarily a desire for a specific impression. It is the mindset, attention and care of the modeler that takes any model out of toy and into an artistic, plausibly realistic place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. Perhaps my hope in general is that others are encouraged to move beyond treating these models as toys, any scale or gauge, and to enjoy them at another level too - and N, for me, in the UK, seems to balance fidelity with space - so even the most space starved modeller can have an operational layout (like Paxton Road or Gerald Road) in under 1m, but with a bit more space can really build a railway that goes somewhere.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.