From N to O: Pont Llanio…

It all started, as it often does, with a new book. This time a small locally produced A5 black-and-white collection of diary notes and wonderfully evocative photos of the end of steam on the Aberaeron branch in mid Wales…


I say that’s where it started, but it could equally be the arrival of the Graham Farish Western Rambler train set a few weeks ago. This beautifully packaged collection of dreams, an enabler of childhood memories, had me reminiscing fondly with Tim of the branchline my Dad had built in the late 1980s. These sorts of things have a strange and unlikely power, and my resolve to avoid N gauge steam hasn’t lasted long. 

The Carmarthen to Aberystwyth line, and its associated branches to Newcastle Emlyn and Aberaeron was the victim of a mobility revolution, rising costs, deferred maintenance, and unhappy natural disaster. Whilst passenger services had been withdrawn in the 1960s milk kept the line open as far north as Pont Llanio and Felin Foel on the old Aberaeron branch until 1973. Further North the line had been breached by the failure of a bridge, following the same storm that prematurely closed the Ruabon to Barmouth line. Oh, what we’d give now, for that line to have survived!


The photos in ‘Quiet between trains’ show collection of Western motive power, but it is the black 74XX panniers that captured my imagination. Short trains, a combination of local freight and milk, photographs of a more artful composition fuel for the soul. Surely, that Farish Pannier would look amazing with a coat of satin black! ‘Quiet afternoons on the sofa’ Might not be quite such a good book, but is certainly a nice place to spend some time with familiar pages and your best friend.

 

In the end it was Pont Llanio itself which has become the muse for this scheme. Although sketched without a home in mind, this small composition makes the most of the unusual setting of the station, with single platform, next to a road over bridge, water tank mounted on top of the embankment and the dairy in the small goods yard. Working these elements around to present a non-typical and viewing window, open along the front and slightly on the left, curved instead of angular, full of lush green foliage, contrasting with the sharp, man-made ‘modern’ dairy.


I had N in mind whilst pen traced paper but this scheme would probably work well in OO as well, possibly with a little compression even in O. Actually, you know what, that might be the best solution for this small scheme! Whilst the prototype location appeals I don’t feel that the design brings out the best in N and a search for a suitable setting for this wonderful train set continues to evolve, of which there will be more soon.

If you would like some help designing your own dream model railway, be that a small cameo to a room sized adventure, do you get in touch for help through my layout design process, prices starting from £175. You can get in touch with me through the contact form on my blog, through Facebook (where you can email me) or the forum messaging Services. Until next time, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Wonderful to see you pen an article on that part of Wales. Pont Llanio was what originally brought me to modelling Wales. Although being a Lampeter Uni graduate, that line holds some memories, albeit a longtime after it had gone. Felin Fach is also another modellable station. There's an Oakwood press and a Middleton Press book(s) on the lines too which are very worthwhile reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David. Thank you for the comment, it is wonderful to have you here. I’m pleased this setting resonates with you - what follows in N is also based in this geography, although somewhat freelance, but I intended to make the best of the scale and the models.

      Delete
  2. Hi James
    I am always impressed by the way you can turn a few photos into interesting ideas for a model. I hope some one can use this or maybe add some of the ideas to your other projects. In a slightly freelanced word you might be able to add some more switching (shunting ) operations by having the dairy have its own loco. I visited the old United Dairies plant at Chard Junction way back in 1967 and the location seems very similar. The dairy only had a few sidings but were using an old Ruston four wheel diesel. I know it was only a brief visit but I think I have a photo. Will look it out and see

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the email Alan - whilst different in character to this rural part of Wales I'm rather taken by your image and will do a blog post in time! Hope you're well, great to hear from you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.