Alan Sewell and more GE centre cabs...

A few months ago Alan was kind enough to get in touch with a few photos of GE centre cabs he had encountered on his travels in North America...

In an earlier blog you mentioned the GE 44-ton and I said I had some photos of similar units. I am attaching these which you might like and can use as required.

The AP 45/50 ton units I took at the now closed West Tacoma Newsprint mill in 1999. 

Alan Sewell photo

Alan Sewell photo

The Fletcher unit is a 65-ton model still in use, I believe, at the Westford quarry. This is the one my wife and I drove briefly in 2008.

Alan Sewell photo

The Gilchrist 207 is a 125-ton version used on the Klamath Northern in Oregon, one of the last lumber mill owned shortlines in Oregon. I took this in 2015.

Alan Sewell photo

McCleary 60 is actually a Whitcomb product. My friend the late John Henderson took this at the Simpson Door plant in the early 1980’s.

Alan Sewell photo

I previously sent some photos etc. of Millennium Terminals (MT) and this is another of their drop cab unit built for service in Europe during 39-45 War.

Alan Sewell photo

The only typical 44-ton is the Stimson Timber unit at Forest Grove Oregon in 1999. The ex-SP caboose was necessary with longer 70-foot center-beams. The loco was a bit of a boomer having been used on the Valley and Siletz, the Big Creek and Telocaset and Colllins Pine. The Stimson mill still uses a GE, but not this one, and up to the 1950’s had a logging railroad using shays and a Willamette.

Alan Sewell photo

This is the latest in a series of blog posts based upon material Alan has kindly provided and I'm proud to be able to share this work with a wider audience - thank you Alan, and thank you too, for your continued support and interest in my blog and all the work shared here. Until next time, more soon...

Comments