Commission: Alco Mountaineer in 009…

Whilst the latest and greatest ready to run option is appealing for many, the humble white metal kit is the spiritual home of 009 narrow gauge modelling…


Working on restoring older models can be a rewarding commission, and in this case that has certainly been the case. Asked by my customer to breathe some new life into this tired GEM Mountaineer kit, and update it to reflect the later stepped (rather than slow) cab. A gentle clean up and prep of the original model showed that a total strip down wasn’t required. I smoothed and filled the model and then modified the cab mouldings in situ, the roof was fitted and filled and the model primed, then painted with the airbrush to ensure a thin but uniform coat.


Detail painting picked out buffer beams and window frames. Lining was applied with a bow pen, trying to match the finesse level of the kit to ensure it didn’t jar. Plates were added (from Light Railway Stores) and the model was sealed with a gloss lacquer to up the sheen, knocked back a touch from above with satin. The smokebox was touched in with matt and the transformation complete.


If you have an older model you’d like me to repair or refresh I’m happy to work on existing as well as new models. Get in touch to discuss your requirements, you can use the contact form on the website, Facebook (where you can email me) or the forum messaging systems. I look forward to hearing from you.

Until next time, more soon…

Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. That looks about right. Too much finesse and the result would look 'wrong', too little and the kit would just look badly built. Matching the finish to the kit is perhaps an art in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, thank you, you’ve articulated well what I was getting at. Matching finesse in detail and finish, to the kit is so important, I enjoy the challenge!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.