Alan Sewell’s visits to Irchester…

Last week Alan kindly offered to share another visit report after my own Planet Industrials Barclay conversion reminded him of a series of visits to Irchester in the 1960s. It is my pleasure to be able to share another set of his extensive collection here…

South Durham Steel & Iron Co Ltd
Irchester Mines, Northants
Gauge: Standard
 
6 September 1965
Two Barclay saddle tanks at work No 6 0-6-0 wks. no 1497 of 1916 and 0-4-0 2323 of 1952 working between the quarry old calcining clamps, and the exchange sidings along with 0-4-0ST Hawthorn Leslie w/n 3846 pf 1937. 6 and 17 were working initially and then joined by 9 still fitted with large dumb buffers from its time in steel works duties. Around 3.30, 17 left light for the shed. This loco has had some collision damage as only the front right hand buffer was fitted
 
Irchester Barclay #9, Alan Sewell photo.

Hawthorn Leslie #17, Alan Sewell photo.


8 April 1968
A 0-4-0ST possibly “Holwell No.30” left with train for Irchester sidings. Barclay 0-4-0st 9 was in steam but looking rusty and in poor condition devoid of works plates. However Barclay 7 was hard at work with a train from the quarries
 
Barclay #7, Alan Sewell photo.

Barclay #7, Alan Sewell photo.

This is the latest in a series of posts sharing Alan’s photos from around the world, largely of an industrial nature. If you’re interested in seeing more then using the ‘Alan Sewell’ label will pick them all out for you, thank you once again Alan, for sharing them with us all. Until next time more soon…

Comments

  1. That Hawthorn Leslie loco is rather attractive. I feel an order for the Dapol one coming on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until we see them in the flesh I was a little concerned about livery application on the paint samples.

      Delete
  2. Jameses

    The HL was always a second favourite for me after a Barclay. If you wanted to model 17 at Irchester then fitting KD's would remove those oversized couplings and mirror the centre coupling used with the side dump cars which fed the calcining clamps. Whether you wanted to be authentic and remover the right hand buffer is up to the modeller!!
    I agree the sample colours on Hattons adverts don't quite look right. To my eye the only OK ones are the plain green and black ( versions 0006 and 0007) I also feel the oversize buffers are less than typical and may be based on a prototype where the loco worked on tight curves and large buffers were needed to stop buffer locking (however this might in useful i the model world as well )

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice the lining appeared to be yellow on the Invincible sample. some do seem to have had quite large buffers. Invincible also appears to have rivet or boltheads on the buffer face.

      I've swapped to kadees for most of my 4mm stock. I had a road to Damascus moment at a show when I relaised a layout was using them and I hadn't even noticed until I gave it a second look -I'd presumed they were using S&W.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.