Revised Planet Industrials Barclay…

It was over three years ago when I first developed a Planet Industrials kit for the Hatton’s Barclay, offering a different style of cab over the one supplied in the tooling. That first example was specific to Devonport but a commission saw me modify the CAD to offer a more generic NCB example


We could never make enough of this kit. The batch sizes increased and sold out within days of restocking, it was by far the most popular of our range (closely followed by the slightly more involved Peckett conversion). As Hattons donor model availability dwindled sales dried up.


 

Hattons have announced a new batch of there wonderful Barclay’s at very attractive prices! It was with that in mind I dusted off the CAD and made a few adjustments (I was never 100% happy with the curve of the top of the roof, so I’ve flattened this just a touch). With a new supply arrangement in place we’re able to ensure longer periods of availability and although currently ‘out of stock’ at Light Railway Stores’ this won’t be for long. Obviously a new run and design adjustment warranted me to do some modelling, so here you see ‘PiChem No.3’, out of the box Hattons with replacement cab, repaint and new boiler handrails. Etched plates from Light Railway Stores in the Industrial style. I’m particularly pleased with the patch repair to the cab roof (still in primer) and the weathering over my favourite green.


If you’ve got one of the Hattons models on order why not treat yourself to a second and use our kit to give yourself a unique and personal industrial model? Until next time, more soon… 


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    This is a nice conversion and the weathering is as usual excellent and as I remember these working locos. I always liked the Andrew Barclay steam products - somehow they appeared strong and business like compared with some other manufacturers. The prototype behind the cab style interested me, as most I saw had versions of what I term the standard Barclay cab. However I do remember seeing two similar locos at Irchester iron stone mines in the mid 1960's. They had come from Cargo Fleet ironworks in 1964 but even a couple of years later were, as I remember, looking very tired and worn. Did you get the inspiration from them? I have the photos in the files but since they are nearly sixty years old I am not sure how a scan will come out. If anything is worthwhile I will send them.

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan any trawl of a Gordon Edgar 'album' turns up examples of the Barclay with these style cabs, I guess more utility and cheaper, certainly they are all 'later' builds. If you've photos you know I'd love to share them here! Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.