Friday Update: Twelve One Twenty-four…

It seems a cruel twist of fate that a cold snap coincided perfectly with my return to the workshop! I’ve been taking things easy this week with a number of smaller models progressing again, I’ve enjoyed returning to customer focused work…


Strangely, the visible effort has been on 009 models at quite opposite ends of the spectrum. A EuroNG Resita-ish kit has been coming together alongside a number of Ffestiniog related models, destined for the customer who commissioned Boston Lodge. A real mix of methods here, the Resita, a typical James Hilton product, 3-D printed core with etched details that is brought to life with plenty of scratch built accoutrements, a 3-D printed Mountaineer purchased from Shapeways as a one piece kit and a classic Dundas plastic carriage.


I’m looking forward to seeing these come together over the next day or two, expect more next week. This time of year is always one that I find difficult and this particular week the hardest. To counter my drop in mood I often find myself getting lost in YouTube videos of railways I’ve never heard of and this year was no different! Two in particular really fired my imagination, not just consumed as content but adopted and mulled over, mused upon, enjoyed. 


I had never really given the railways of Mexico more than a passing recognition but as a sucker for the EMD export models this video caught my eye and was a fascinating way to spend nearly an hour on the sofa with the dog! The narrow gauge line, filmed from the cab and trackside has such potential for modelling. It is with a mix of sadness and relief that neither the G12 or the GAA – eight are available in a ready to run format!


I knew that Cris and Ollie had picked up this Layout a year or so ago, and having seen a photo or two previously, I’d recognised how wonderful a creation it was, but what I didn’t expect was to find myself scarring flicker for oust rile backwaters across Western Europe. Neither did I expect a few “cheap” HO scale models to be purchased from eBay or a layout scheme to develop in my notepad! More in that another time! However, for those who love a good sale, expect a mini clear out of my British N and Canadian HO shortly, possibly even some LGB…


Sometimes I wish I lived nearer the sea, this view from Pembroke last week reminds me of the calming nature that I walk along the beach, along the cliffs, listening to the waves, crashing, the wind blowing in your face, the feeling of raw nature and the healing power that this can have. That said I’m very lucky to live here in the valley with the Llangollen railway, walks from the door and relatively easy access to both the real world (via Wrexham or Oswestry) or the wonderful railways of North Wales towards the coast.


A few N gauge updates, a Dapol 121 arrived. In brief, ran poorly but looked neat. In summary, after a lot of tinkering she passes muster now, is quiet and controllable but I’m sure one of her axles is a little wonky! Contrast to the Farish 37 seen last week (right below) that is a delightful running model from the box. This now wears blue and awaits buffer beam details before weathering, perhaps a job for the weekend?


So a mixed bag here this week, great to be back at the bench, I’ve enjoyed sharing Wrexham all week and will have more on that over the weekend, as well as my fire sale. Thank you for your continued support, engagement here and on YouTube. As always until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James
    Hope your year has started well. Your certainly have some interesting projects and models in progress to a greater or lesser extent
    I like the eastern European logging loco. I could see that in a HiFi Cameo of a woods landing or part of a mill complex. It certainly has the presence of those CFF 0-8-0T I have seen in books and videos
    The "YouTube" videos are interesting and if you can find "Chile's Colorful Mining Railroads" you can get a further hit of EMD export power. I had not seen the Cessy-en-Bois" layout before, but it oozes the right Gaelic atmosphere even if it is a little too SNCF and not enough "voie interet" for me. If it inspires you to do a similar project then I am sure the results will be worth following. My wife and I really like France and have visited many times before Covid and the results of Brexit made it more difficult. France had , and still has, some interesting systems using large and small locotracteurs from a variety of builders . and which would make great models ( if only I had the time!!) A paper mill on the edge the Landes forest using ex-US Army flat cars, a chemical works in the Alpes, the sand quarries south of Paris, and the salt works in the Camargue are just some I manged to visit

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, kind words as always and good to hear from you, your trips and visits in France sound fascinating, I would love to see more (as I’m sure many readers would).

      Delete
  2. Hi James
    Thanks
    When the worst of my cold subsides I will dig out some notes of a few visits to "la belle France" and send them to you

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.