Friday Update: Nineteen One Twenty-four…

The heaviest frost of the year so far, a meagre centimetre of snow but a few mornings of lethal ice on the lane this week and the welcome return of our open fire to keep us warm in the evenings. The wintry weather does mean much brighter skies, blue skies, and it’s easier to lift my mood…


In the workshop it has been unsurprisingly very cold. I probably say that most weeks in the winter, I do love my job, and I’m used to it these days, but gosh, I wouldn’t want to be a person not able to afford to run the heating. I have it off during the day, just morning and evenings for the family, so wrap up and keep moving around but never the less, it can become almost unbearable. Perhaps it is this that evokes such art from my hands?!! 

In yesterday’s blog you saw the Ffestiniog van 2 complete, and I needed some custom decals to complete - I took the opportunity to draw up and some replacement 1.5mm square (!) data panels for the Dapol 121 (results above) which whilst still not legible are a massive improvement of the solid white lines on Dapol’s rendition.


Commissions at two different ends of the spectrum too - large OO layout build vs an 009 narrow gauge model! The layout, Leatown, now has a case work and track laying has started, the fiddle yard, seen above has come out really well. The back two tracks ‘the mainline’ serving the single track platform. The front two tracks (bottom) form a run around loop on the goods tramway. The sectors reflecting their typical use, the rear holding a train, the front (lower) just the locomotive (or 08 and brake van). 


Balancing the layout build is the Resita-ish in 009. The ability to move from large to small work, to allow one to dry whilst picking off a small job on the other is perfect, and I’ve enjoyed working on this old kit this week. The model has been lined by hand with a bow pen, and is almost finished. I have some detail painting left, plus a wood load and glazing but otherwise, she is pretty much done. Whilst viewed side on the length compromise is all to obvious (although does make for a cute model) but viewed obliquely the thing sings of the prototype. I hope my customer enjoys her as much as I have.


In the workshop itself, Gerald Road has vacated its shelf and something curious is evolving in its place -  more will be revealed soon - suffice to say it’s a flight of fun and fancy rather than prototypical but I’m excited by the opportunity for scenic work and gentle operation.


To finish, progress on two Christmas presents! Above the Branchline 50ft ‘Pickens’ box car has been patched and weathered for HMLX, and lends a dash of colour to the greys and browns of most of my stock. Below, the Farish 37 edges towards weathering… this week has seen the buffer beam detail added. This model has been transformed by lowering (and the headlight removal, which has proven to be very successful), and I can’t wait to bring this 80s Highland stalwart to life.


As the weekend beckons I am hoping for a dry period to get wood cut for the ‘new’ layout, but if not I’ve a few personal projects I think I’ll push on with, and the possibility of a new (second hand) book arriving in time for coffee with the dog on the sofa on Sunday morning. I hope you have a relaxing weekend with some train or hobby related interest, until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments