Friday Update: Five One Twenty-four…

Welcome to the first Friday Update of 2024 and one that focuses on just my own modelling over the Christmas period as I'm not back 'in the office' until Tuesday next week...

Paxton Road has seen almost daily shunting, not with anything new but a joyous rediscovery of all the Speedlink era wagons I've collected so far!

Another Branchline Trains 50ft box car joins the 'fleet' here - this one came without and grab handles so I'll need to fabricate those before I go much further. I've enjoyed streaking the original lettering. Once the handles are on I'll fade the body with an overall sandy white spray on the airbrush, then I'll mask and patch out the Pickens markings and re-letter for HMLX, what else!

Another cameo brakes cover, this time something distinctively Welsh and of the narrower variety. Here Prince and the two coaches I built expressly for this scene feel very much at home already in the earliest of days on Boston Lodge halt.

A Farish 37 arrived here at Christmas, and has already lost its paint, been lowered, had the headlights removed and smoothed and the body side boiler hatch filled. This will become 37035 in BR blue - and then I really must work out how I'm going to build a bit more of my Lochdubh branch!

The Friday update will continue to be a feature of the blog here throughout 2024. These regular updates allow me to share more 'in progress' work that hasn't quite justified a post of it's own - as well as happenings in the valley that don't quite fit anywhere else. The whole archive is available under the 'Friday Update' label, and they stretch back a few years now if you are bored and need something to get lost in for a few hours!



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Happy New Year, James!
    Has lowering the body of the 37 affected the buffer height in relation to other stock? In preference I lifted the sideframes on my 37 which closed the bogie to body gap without affecting the buffer height.
    I still don't understand how Dapol locos are much better in this feature than Farish locos. The Farish 47 still seems to be especially poor in this regard.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, good question! Lowering the body actually improves the height of the body and buffers vs the carriages, in my opinion. Raising the bogie frames means they look ‘off’ because the bearing cap is to high relative to the centre of the wheel… but we choose what works for us… I think this way suits my style more.

      Delete
  2. Ah, there's 2 of us. Happy New Year James.
    Speed link was a good period for modelable wagons, I've got a few speedlink wagon plans going forwards this year, looking forward to trying N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh what a coincidence! Two Dave Long’s! Thank you, Happy New Year! I do like the Speedlink variety yes, good luck with N!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.