Pont Dulas: From dead flat to realism…

I have had a week or so away from Pont Dulas now but these photos were taken at the close of play and show the evolution in the former goods yard…


This I hope suggests a mix of ground texture with grass and weeds taking over the yard, using only the shorter lengths of static grass. I’ve also finished off the hedges and fence posts and now am waiting for the photo-etched metal gates I designed. These will really lift the finish in this area for both the level crossing and farm gates, based upon those I have on the Dyfrdwy Tramway here in the garden!


Whilst the scene looks nearly complete the train hides the ‘station’ area that still requires attention - the platform needs building and then a decision on whether to use a small waiting shelter (I have built a few already for the Cambrian scheme) or a larger wooden building inspired by those on the Cardigan branch - this is all about visual balance - so what seems to fit better in that part of the scene without overpowering things. A compact space like this feels larger when it’s less cluttered, but without the platform it won’t be the layout I had intended.


This framed scene though, even at this unfinished stage holds so much promise. I just enjoy looking at it, getting lost for a moment, which was exactly my intention when I started. I’ve learnt a lot regarding fidelity with N scale scenery, balancing textures, colours and lengths of static grass - and these trees, I’m so happy with how they’ve turned out (especially the oaks in the centre). I hope you’ve enjoyed this short catch up and I will share more on the layout in the near future. Until then, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Those oak trees are sublime, recognisable and believable. I love the tree on the far left, too, although that's obviously some other tree species :-) Fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain - that's very kind - I am proud of those Oaks, they are a labour of love! The trees on the left, there are two of them, are perhaps more 'birch' or 'beech' like, but were earlier efforts recycled. The effect is similar, the shape and colours perhaps less convincing. The pines only used because that is where the GWR halt will be located, and we all know, the GWR loved to plant pines by it's stations!

      Delete
  2. Really great composition, I spent many years trying to get the most out of the small space I had for a railway, these days I'm a firm believer that less is more. This is such an enjoyable model even before a train turns a wheel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, I agree this is such a lovely little scene and I enjoy it more really without a train, as of the anticipation of seeing something move echoes the real experience.

      Delete
  3. That final picture is just delightful. Wonderful composition such a natural scene that breathes atmosphere. So inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ian, that’s very kind. When you say ‘breathes atmospnere’i wonder if it’s evoking an emotional connection for you too? For me it’s built from years of seeing railways in the landscape and wondering if I’d see a train… how about you!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough question James. You're making me think now. My only emotional connection to scenes like this would be those I've been in black and white photos in GWR branch line album books. Perhaps if you were to reproduce images in black and white in a blog post, it would cause a different or even stronger emotional response?
      I'm also interested to see the effect that different station buildings will have.

      Delete
    2. I shall certainly take a series of black and white shots with the Pannier - and more modern stock with suitable colouring to suggest todays digital or perhaps 70s slide film…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.