A day of just diesels...

Yesterday was the first day of the Llangollen Railway's 'Diesel and Industrial Heritage' gala and for once, I had the wonderful opportunity to just relax and soak it all in...


Slightly overcast but warm and dry all day and with all of the railways mainline diesels in action there was plenty to see - yes - but also wonderful quiet moments between trains.

 

I've been taking photographs at Glyndyfrdwy for years but have made a concerted effort to try some new ideas out for framing the usual suspects. I enjoy documenting the railway, but that doesn't mean there can't be some artistry in the composition. I hope these photographs tell the story of a man who loves trains spending a wonderful day in a place he calls home, loving every minute of the experience.


 




I walked down a few times through the day to catch the various workings shown here - the walk itself is a fantastic way to unwind and switch off, with the added anticipation of the railway to follow. I spent my lunchtime on the platform, I enjoyed a coffee from the tea room and reading an old book from 1984 about the future of British Rail's Railfreight (that somehow felt quite an apt read). 

Highlight though, and to be honest, it was all wonderful, was seeing the humble 08202 (on hire from the Avon Valley) on its first passenger turn since arriving. It ran a service from Llangollen to Glyndyfrdwy at the end of the day using the 'Suburban' set - all 5 coaches.

I love these humble shunting locomotives - regular readers will know I own more than I really need, fuelled only by my passion for their boxy character and do it all attitude. 08202 is full of that spirit, a working engine with rust, oil, grease and wear to show for it.







Whilst the trains looked reasonably busy I do hope the weekend has been a financial success - but from where I was sitting, the organisers should be proud of the results. It was a lovely day, a wonderful way to spend some quite time soaking up the atmosphere of the village station and nature, with a healthy dose of inspiration and excitement scattered regularly through the day light hours... and whilst I was done, the railway wasn't as last night 5310 did a few trips to Carrog and back with the restaurant car and beer on board - sadly I couldn't join in this time around.


If you're able to visit today (Sunday) you won't be disappointed. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the photos and get a sense for the positive re-charge this has had on me. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. Hi James

    Hope you had a relaxing and refreshing break.
    The Diesel Gala looks very good and you are lucky to live nearby. I like your choice of photo compositions and the Gala itself has the feel of a real working railway ( except maybe the 08 on a passenger train !!)
    If the Gala is a success it shows people are happy to remember and ride the "just past" rather than only the "fifty years ago". If so that shows a healthy future for "heritage railways"
    As I said the the equipment has the feel of a "real railway" but I still cannot get so excited with this rather than an SW1200, a GP7 or a Sentinel or Ruston . However I guess that comes from never being a BR enthusiast

    Have a good week
    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.