Churnet Valley return…

About ten years ago the Churnet Valley Railway was my local. I used to visit quite regularly with my eldest and travel the line between Leekbrook Junction and Kingsley and Froghall. These days I call the Llangollen my own, but last weekend I went back to see my old friend…

Pendennis Castle departs with the ‘Birkenhead Flyer’ at Cheddleton, heading for Ipstones on the second run of the day.

It was wonderful to see how much the line has matured in the decade that has passed. The beautifully preserved Cheddleton, the quaint Consall (with the canal and lovely pub, busy as I always remember it) and Kingsley and Frogall looking neat as a pin contrasting with the industrial wasteland and factories on the approach - a poignant reminder of why railways like this existed.

Back then there were dreams of trains to Stoke, but in the years that followed it was first Cauldon Low and next, hopefully Leek that have been targets. Our train was hauled by visiting Pendennis Castle, beautifully turned out and sounding superb, the climb up to Ipstones one of the most impressive feats I’ve witnessed on a preserved railway. The views on our sunny day were lovely, but the lack of facilities at Ipstones is a notable omission. Even Corwen had a temporary platform!

Waiting at Cheddleton to catch the ‘Ffestiniog Railway Special’ the first train heading up to Ipstones.

In the yard at Cheddleton the two redisent USA 2-8-0s slumbered alongside a 47 and 33. Meanwhile Tamworth Castle was looking as forlorn as I remember from my last visit. This celebrity would be wonderful to see restored, the ‘ice cream van’ livery she acquired quite unique, and fitting for the line. The 25s were solid performers on the Cauldon Low stone traffic in the early 80s.

From the last carriage, looking backwards. The line to Cauldon Low was never lifted but I believe extensive work was required to reopen it including a lot of drainage repairs and thousands of new sleepers, a massive achievement.

Looking across the sales on our way back ‘down’ from Ipstones.

The loop at Ipstones, track beyond to Cauldon Low has been lifted for reuse elsewhere on the line, no facilities here, just a run around loop.

On board the train we were in an old TSO that had been fitted with first style seating in a 2 / 4 pattern around tables, neat, well upholstered, comfortable. A trolley service offered food and refreshments along the 7 coach train and it took cards! A clear and informative tannoy announcement system was in use. The coaches were clean, but the windows quite dirty. At Kingsley and Froghall the shop was a little touristy with little in the way for enthusiasts and a poor selection of books. The cafe looked nice but didn’t have much food offering and we were first off the train to find just a handful of sandwiches left!

From the level crossing at Cheddleton. The stock parked in the second platform means photos that recreate the 80s shots of Coass 20s on sand traffic, memories from books in my childhood, isn’t possible. Mind no 20s and no sand hoppers either! Although I did think one had been preserved on the line?

Tamworth Castle looking a little worse for wear. I am told she is ‘next in line’ but I’ve been told that before! These 25s were known for corrosion problems so I hope they’ve got deep pockets as I expect a lot of the bodywork and cab floor will need repair.

The depot at Cheddleton with kick back sidings to the shed and workshop. 33/1 and USA 2–8-0 (with the Polish loco behind). What a lovely sunny day.

The overall impression was one of professionalism. The train was busy, the lunch service that was attracted to the second train was well patronised. The service locomotives were clean too, the platforms weed free. It felt grown up and I hope as a result is on reasonable footing for the future. I hear that Leek is now the next target, an obvious choice, perhaps government money to reopen to Stoke? Whatever the next decade holds I’ll look forward to a return visit some day. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. The Leek Stoke line is supposedly being reopened as part of the national network. Most of the track is still there but I suspect would need completely renewing

    I have to say I think Consall is a charmign station, and The Black lion an excellent pub. Just not the easiest place to turn a narrowboat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell I suspect!
      Yes I can imagine it’s difficult to turn a narrow boat at the best of times, let alone in the tight confines of the basin at Consall.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.