Beaverbrook is (was) live!…

The wonders of modern technology! I have filmed several YouTube live videos in recent months experimenting with the process and learning how the app works. Until now these have been to do with the Llangollen Railway but last night I tried something new…

I set up the tripod with a view of Beaverbrook towards the end of an evening operating session with the thought that I could share my enjoyment with others, and on the whole, the live stream process, whilst a little inflexible compared to a proper video and of poorer sound quality, does offer that chance to invite others into your layout space.

Once the session was over the live video uploads to my channel (below) so is saved for others who missed it to ‘enjoy’ the experience. It struck me that perhaps I could do this more regularly, hosting operational videos on my shelf layouts, inviting you to enjoy the scenes, the sounds, the gentle pace of shuffling cars/wagons around. Not with a great choreographed effort, just a static camera on live stream, almost like a higher quality web-cam.

In this first ‘proper’ effort I chose the camera location quite poorly, but now I’ve a better idea of how things work this can be addressed next time. I was amazed that at one point 12 people were watching together, and that was with no notice, no planning, no announcement, just pushing that ‘live’ button on the phone. What do you think? I suspect there are many who are no interested but if you are, what do you think? Would you want to join in and watch? Does this appeal? If so do I keep things quiet like this, with just the natural sounds of the layout or do I go a step further and commentate in what is going on, quietly and gently explaining perhaps the process, the things I’m considering?

As always I would love to hear from you, until next time,  more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I'd certainly watch an operating session online live. (Subject to time zones of course). As for this one, my only observation is that I would have liked to have seen the destinations where the cars were being shoved to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was a mistake. I will point the camera the other way next time.

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    I came across the video by accident when looking for something else on YouTube and was immediately drawn in. I have always liked Beaverbrook and the way it shows what still appears to be the north American way with car load switching and operations. It felt very much like the switching I saw on holiday in the states and Canada and although I have never heard one in reality I do like those "bag of nails" sounding Alcos. You just have to imagine the smoke however.

    I guess as it was originally a live feed there was no commentary or captioning on the YouTube recording which I think might have been helpful and maybe a change of camera angle could be thought of next. And yes I hope you will do another/several in future

    Well done, I enjoyed it

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, indeed when it’s live it’s live, so no editing. That said I could narrate what is happening perhaps?

      Delete
  3. May I suggest an introductory graphic that frames the action and then start the live session. That could be as simple as a piece of paper which is discarded when movement begins. I feel that any intrusion with narration of even subtitles would break the spell. I set here mesmerised wishing I had an HO chainsaw, so please do more of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s one idea David, yes… I filmed another one last night - we had I think similar numbers at one point. They’re now on my channel. In the first part I did talk about the layout and stock a little before jumping into the operation.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.