On video: Kohlenbachbrücke Werks...

This has been a curious success - not that I expected the layout to be a failure you understand, just I wasn't expecting the project to be so rewarding. This is Kohlenbachbrücke Werks - my HO scale 'Eastern European' industrial cameo layout...


Conceived and built in short order to provide a self contained shunting experience (which proved its worth from day one, before any scenery was added) the composition has crystallised and evolved and today looks and feels wonderful. Almost too much of a caricature the little red diesel shuffles around the works moving chemical tank wagons with a curious  brown staining and finished goods leaving in non-descript vans - all very suspicious - although, I assure you, all within the law!


In this latest video, which stretches to a full 30 minutes (so pop on your TV perhaps, and watch it there?) I share not only the usual overview, thoughts and reflections but you will also see an edited and stylised version of the operation - seeing the shunter perform its work in real time, the operation of the Kadee magnets and how I use the fiddle yard. I really enjoyed making this one - the video that it - and the layout continues to provide a safe place to escape at the end of the day - no mental capacity required, just drift off behind the controls and imagine a time machine to take you there...

Until next time, more soon...

Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Now I'm probably going to be a nasty smartass, but: If the name of the layout is to be in German, it should correctly be read "Kohlenbachbrücke Werke". ("Werks" is a verbal form used in genitive singular.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you sound like someone with better knowledge sharing that with me - I will try to remember next time I talk about it!

      Delete
    2. OK, thx a lot for yr kind understanding ;-)

      Delete
  2. Morning James. I've always wondered about those spills down the side of chemical tanks, can't be very safe... Excellent weathering though. Have a good weekend. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Tom, thanks for stopping by - yes, who knows! Perhaps it's just corrosion of the bodywork.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating. I like the duck-under pipework especially, just the right side of mad to be plausible.

    Something that really caught my eye was the way so many of the elements are arranged in parallel along the length of the board, right from the buildings on the backscene through to the tracks and pipework in the foreground.

    You mentioned that the high-level pipework provides a good frame for views but I think a much bigger effect all the pipework contributed to was the apparent depth of the layout. All the parallel elements are like layers and the eye has to pause at each layer rather than flying straight over the tracks into the backscene. Those layers include the vegetation and concrete walling fractionally spaced off the backscene and the pipe at the righthand rear of the layout.

    Very artfully done and none of it seems crowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin, I love those reflections. I suppose I had thought similar when composing the elements but certainly hadn’t considered the effect they have on the viewer. Thank you too, for the kind words. I’m glad it still has a sense of space.

      Delete
  4. I've finally found time to watch the video...great stuff, James!
    Although Schinkendorf is larger and perhaps more complex, I also find it a very relaxing way to spend some time. Having destinations for wagons at either end of the layout works well; I also find that some thought is needed regarding where to put a particular vehicle, for example, a van may be loaded/unloaded either on the hard standing or the loading dock. Just a thought regarding your pipes running under the line...if the line used to carry on, perhaps it had overhead electrification (since removed) which may have required the pipes to go under the track rather than over it?
    All the best and thanks for an absorbing video,
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon - I am glad you enjoyed the video. I can completely understand your own enjoyment of Schinkendorf, now having my own 'smaller' example. For me - it has been a breath of fresh air.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.