SLT - Scottish Lost Terminus (or Termini)...

Regular readers will recall my love of the 'single line terminus' as a muse for minimum space models. Today though, a play on words and re-use of the acronym - we have Scottish Lost Terminus...

Illustration: James Hilton 2024

I'm a sucker for a good photos and I've got a lovely book of photos by Derek Cross. If you go beyond the Far North and Kyle lines with their wonderful scenes you'll find all sorts of modellable railway in BR blue... but two in particular here - Peterhead and North Berwick - really caught my imagination.

Flicking around for photos of Peterhead I realised just how big a station it was - as is often the case where land is cheap. However, a convenient unloading shelter can help us frame a hi-fi micro, perhaps adopting 'Getting on my Wick's train shed interior, blended with 'Fancy another beer's split scene - I think this would allow some interesting architectural modelling in whatever scale you fancy. Limited operation would see an arriving train 'run around' its coaches before propelling them back into the shed.

North Berwick invited a different approach - how to model that feeling of standing on the opposite (now trackless) platform and look into the station. By adding a cut away to the front of the presentation, even if the lid and ends are full depth, you can invite the viewer to look along the train and platform into the enclosed and almost more intimate scene at the buffer stops.

I enjoy pondering a prototype and how best to adapt this to a space - more often these days the sorts of space I have available - but the process of casting something vs a shelf or whole room is good fun. If you'd like to work with me to develop your own scheme then get in touch, my layout design process starts from £180. In the meantime, these more recent schemes are being collected together for another book - hopefully out in 2025 as a follow up to the Small Layout Design Handbook. However, until next time more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.




Comments

  1. More food for thought James. I like that cutaway North Berwick idea. Perhaps in N and 00 scale you might not be able to get a deep enough cutway to view down towards the buffer stop. Might be better suited to 0. A really interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely suit O you’re right Ian!

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    Having just got back from a few days in Edinburgh I can say North Berwick is not really a Lost Terminus. It has an hourly service from Waverley and is well used. However it is now equipped with bus type shelters for waiting and is hemmed in by new housing. In fact I tried to find it once a year or so ago and failed

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost in this form… I presume it has been shortened and curtailed slightly?

      Delete
    2. Yes James. Although it looks as if the platform has been extended, all the other "railway" atmosphere/intrastructure seems to have been lost and swept away. Maybe its the effect of being run by a bus company ( First Group) for a number years!!!
      Alan

      Delete
    3. Fascinating - I was aware it was still open, just had never seen this original station before which is incredibly modellable!

      Delete
    4. I've often pondered East Kilbride in the 1980s as a concept, especially as the coal merchant there was still rail served until the early 1980s, so I envisage a Speedlink trip workiing with a 20, 26 or 37 running in between the SPE DMU service. Apparently there was a print works further along the line, so perhaps (albeit tenuously) a BG or GUV hauled by a 47 which has to come to run round?

      Delete
    5. I will have to look at East Kilbride!

      Delete
  3. There are several non-Scottish locations that could suit this approach. Aldeburgh crossed my mind, as did Windermere in the last few years of the old station

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it’s a neat way to get into the station as well as be a scenic model railway… but I’ve only sketched it, not tried it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.