Friday Update: Nineteen Seven Twenty-four…

Perhaps I thought this would be a slow week, at least in terms of commission work whilst I focussed on the latest layout build. Whilst that has been true, I've managed to tick along with a few personal projects and made the most of the quiet house (the girls are away) to get on with some decorating. Grab a drink and join me for a whistle stop tour of what's been going on...


We'll start with a personal project - converting an N gauge 'ferry van' into a crew mess van. This is one of the N gauge society products and I have designed a number of overlays that will be etched in thin metal to make this possible. I have already removed some of the moulded detail from the body (ventilation panels) and sadly, a lot of the lovely etched metal handrails. I console myself that the result will be unique! This is a small job that takes us a step closer to 'Modern Goods' - a project still waiting on the Revolution 66 and IWA steel carriers to move from 'one day' to 'cutting wood'. 


It might not look like much but big progress on this commission this week with the basic scenic foundations complete and ballasting (under the rail bridges at each end) complete. I've also assembled the cameo box lid - and will be adding the lighting today. That will feel like a big milestone on this one, a project that for some reason 'feels' like it is dragging - but actually, is moving at lightning speed. I suspect it's not the commission, rather my sole focus on it, that makes it feel like that - but with my customer visiting on holiday to collect it after the summer, the fixed deadline is driving my approach.


Another personal project that is moving forwards - and once these structures are more complete can move to cutting wood - is Gerald Road II. This more compact 'second' version of the scheme has all the character of the first compressed into a Paxton Road II footprint. Here you can see colours and washes being added to the main structures including the warehouse, pub and semi - whilst the office (left) remains in primer as this will have a 'rendered' finish similar to the pub. More to do on these, but the colours are bringing things to life. I note there needs to be some modulation between the structures and their different materials - and intend to use a cool dark grey/brown wash to see if that helps?


This week has seen a pair of 'live' operational videos as I've opened my layouts to you all via YouTube. In both instances double digits of live viewers joined me as I operated Beaverbrook (30 odd minutes) and Paxton Road, below (10 minutes). These are an experiment, a mindful opportunity to join me whilst I play trains, almost as if you're coming to an exhibition. I'd love to know what you think? The 'live' videos do get uploaded afterwards, so are available to watch at anytime as well - if you missed them.


I received my replacement Dapol Hawthorn Leslie this week too, below. The first model whilst lovely had one of the crossheads and coupling rods on backwards (because it had two drivers side ones!). This example is even smoother running and the Modelu crew and etched nameplates are on order to model the example extant at Falmouth Docks in the 1960s. Alan Sewell has kindly shared some prototype photos and the results will feature in a new magazine I am producing with good friend Paul Marshall Potter. We're not quite ready to share more, but it is very exciting - you should be able to get your hands on it towards the end of the summer, all being well.


I've had a few things FOR SALE again this week - Pont Dulas and the display shelf (in fact, shown above) are still available. I have also found a book I no longer need, this is an inspiring collection of period photos from the Ffestiniog's early revival but my energy for the 009 project has waned a little, and in fact, probably more firmly fixed upon the late 50s period, so I'd like to see it move to a new home - Basically as new, £10 including UK postage (RRP £15).


This week has seen some really mixed weather too - and as I type this the sun shine and the sky is clear, but for how long remains to be seen - most days things have clouded over. Earlier in the week I took the chance to cycle to Carrog - sadly the foot crossing by the river is now too overgrown to attempt a photo but I sat on the banks of the Dee to just enjoy hearing it pass. The ducks and birds keeping me entertained over the road noise of the nearby A5. I wondered if I'd be able to spot the train through the trees - and you can (see below). This overcast sky and lush greenery sums up the week - more rain than I'd like and a close humid feeling, at least a slight breeze.


As the weekend approaches we're still hemmed in by the road being closed across the river. I hadn't realised how trapped such a simple thing can make you feel. Yes, I can drive along the back road, but it isn't pleasant - nor quick. As it is, I'm left with my legs - and they still work - so I can walk and cycle happily along the road, reaching the village station (carefully past some big holes in the road) or Carrog without too much trouble. Perhaps though, I should finish off this decorating first! Whatever happens I'll enjoy some railway and personal time. I hope you manage to find some time to enjoy your own hobby, and get some headspace from life's pressures. Until next time though, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Interesting list of projects as always

    Glad the Falmouth photos will be of some use and look forward to seeing the results

    Have a good weekend

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.