Catching the Pi shunt…

I always kept an eye out when passing Rushcliffe for a glimpse of the internal railway system at the works. Whilst BR served the exchange sidings all internal traffic was handled by an eclectic fleet of small tank engines…


In this archive photo from 1971 I had actually made a deliberate visit with my camera. Taken from the footpath that crossed the railway here via an old lattice footbridge, Barclay ‘PiChem No.3’ plays with some of the internal user wagons that I believe were used to move some of the process material around the site. Whilst there were some older examples most were ex-BR 21t unfitted mineral wagon painted in this gaudy orange and black.

Although the camera captures an image - and perhaps even a memory, what it can’t capture are the sounds, smells and emotions you felt re-discovering steam. The crew were safe and efficient and the sharp bark or the locomotive, the clash of buffers and clang of couplings almost rhythmic. 

Today, rails remain but the internal railway has gone. Instead huge trains of box wagons hauled by Sheds choke the old exchange sidings, such is progress. 

This is Rushcliffe. My most recent layout commission now being very much enjoyed in its new home. During building I grabbed a few ‘set up’ shots like this, I find they can help with finishing touches and compositional decisions, plus they are nice to look back on! 

If you would like to work with me on your own layout project my design service starts at £180. From here we work together to create something personal to you, and if you wish, I can then work that up to a full build. You can contact me here via the blog, or on my Facebook page. In the meantime, until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Very evocative scene even without the sounds clanging rods and crashing buffers. Your photo reminds me of why I liked those Andrew Barclay "pugs" so much . I have a photo taken a Holwell Ironworks just over fifty four years ago which is so very similar to your model photo in many respects

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, very evocative indeed. Glad to have brought back pleasant memories!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.