Severnbank works 1990s…

I came across these old prints whilst looking for something else, taken in the early 1990s on my APS camera, they show an unusual daylight sighting of the Pi shunter at Severnbank


It was unusual to see the shunter, even just stabled, during daylight hours as rail traffic was moved at night and the Sentinel was usually kept in the secure compound in the heart of the works. However on this occasion I caught an exciting glimpse from the footpath that ran along one of the edges of the yard area, I remember rushing home for the camera, such was the magnitude of the occasion.


Perhaps it was childhood memories of the industrial diesel on Wapping Wharf, perhaps more simply a change from the parade of blue and grey 108s I saw past the bottom of my garden, but I have always found industrial locomotives of great fascination. Their unfamiliar forms have over the years become my friends and today I know more about their manufacturers than I probably do about the LNER (as a GWR man!). Back then this was just a diesel, but it’s unfamiliar almost alien lines and bright paint scheme were enchanting, even without movement.


This is Kohlenbachbrücke, my latest cameo ‘HiFi-micro’ layout. This time with a European theme and in HO, but that hasn’t stopped it playing host to these OO gauge industrial models from my collection.

Our ‘toy trains’ should tell a story, a mix of play and memory, perhaps using the medium to express emotions otherwise too difficult to share, perhaps more simply a calming place from a simpler time. I love to see the possibility in a scene, to reimagine it in a different space. I hope you have enjoyed today’s efforts, I certainly have. Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Morning James. It's amazing how versatile a layout can be. Reminds me of Model Trains International magazine, Chris Ellis (editor)was a huge fan of multi-moding different eras and countries on his layouts. I've always thought the sentinel was an interesting loco, I managed to have a cab ride on the one at Bodmin when it first arrived from Crugwallins. There was a stack of imerys wagon tickets (from JIA wagons) on the dashboard and was given one as a souvenir. Cracking modelling and prose as usual. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom - yes, not every layout is like this, but I did have at the back of my mind whilst finishing the scenics that it could represent a British refinery. Lovely experience you had there, with the Sentinel at Bodmin - lovely stuff, and a nice souvenir as you say!

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    Good to see the layout had a last working before it departed. As I think I have said before I find your ability to re-imagine a layout in a different time or place and in this case country very inspiring.

    I was interested in Tom's story and I have something similar. Back in 1984 I took my wife and three young children to the Liverpool Garden Festival ( well they wanted to see the Blue Peter Garden!). Somehow I had corresponded with the Manchester Ship Canal and got permission to visits a couple of their sites. One was Stanlow sidings serving the Shell Oil works which was dispatching bitumen to BR. The were using a Sentinel 0-6-0 taking eight wagons up the steep bank to the BR sidings and needed to use a brake van. I can't remember how now but the children ( who were seven, five and three) were allowed on site and we were given a cab ride with a loaded train up the 1-in-76 bank and back with the brake van. Quite an experience for all and I doubt it would be possible today if if the railway existed. I know I have some photos and will see if they copy OK

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, as if you need ask, I’d love to see the Stanlow operation, I’ve got one of the Hornby 0-6-0 in the MSC livery and went exploring years ago when I first learnt to drive to find the remains of the system, as I wasn’t far away really, in a village north of a Chester.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.