Commission: Dolgoch in 009…

I always enjoy coming back to work in 009. There is something really quite unique about the physical size of the models and the gauge, it feels a very natural place for me and a great place to imbue character…


This most recent of narrow gauge commissions is another Four-dees kit on a Bachmann chassis. This time a Dolgoch conversion. I’m completed lots of this prototype in the past, but usually using the Dolgochification conversion kit and the Bachmann body. This time, the Fourdees kit completely replaces the Bachmann one, but whilst that part is easier, it still requires careful prep and clean up to get the best out of Dan’s lovely design.


My customer wanted a red livery to contrast with the green on his previous Edward Thomas. We agreed on a slight modification of one of the liveries the prototype has worn, and this is Fox N scale ‘yellow / black’ lining, which was applied over a coat of Humbrol 20, crimson. The black edges are painted up to the decals using 85 satin black. The detail painting touches in pipework in appropriate colours and Matt black 33 and signal red 174. Once complete etched plates from Light Railway Stores are added and a coat of satin lacquer ties the various finished together.


Of course these photos are very much larger than the finished model, but show the quality of Dan’s design and the finesse achievable with the Fox decals. I love putting these models together, 009 is one of my favourite scales, so if you have a model you’d like me to produce, either from a kit or scratchbuild, then do get in touch. We will discuss your exact requirements before I prepare and fixed price proposal. In the meantime though, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments