Commission: Dirty 16 tonners in OO...

It is always good fun working on British Rail mineral wagons - you know the ones, the grey 16t and 21t unfitted ones that ended up from freshly painted to bare rust and every possible combination in between...


This latest commission was a hotch potch collection of Bachmann MCOs that needed re-numbering to remove duplication and then weathering. I started with a wash of my 'usual' shades on the chassis - a custom mix of Humbrol enamels (98 and 33). This was also applied to the body panels and removed with a kitchen towel in a vertical motion. Once dry I used the same colours with a touch of 62 to begin to add the rust marks - the trick is to never make a wagon up! Always work from prototype photos - and there are plenty - it doesn't need to be a perfect recreation but the rust patterns are so specific that it massively improves realism if you can copy from a reality. The 6 wagons here received a variety of finishes, some worse than others! The MCOs were rebuilt on the frames of original 16T - I guess not always entirely re-bodied, perhaps patch repaired and repainted - the resulting mess caused some interesting effects and it's always great fun working on such wagons. This sextet are heading for Renfrew to join a myriad of other previous weathering commissions, always lovely to see them in their new home, I will ask David for some photos to share with you all.

 

If you have a rake you'd like me to breathe life into - or even just a single wagon - do get in touch for a no obligation personal proposal. Prices start from as little as £35, and discounts are available as numbers stack up... you can contact me using the menu here - or failing that - via email on my Facebook page (link on the Modelmaking commissions page here on the blog) - you do not need a Facebook account. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments