Ballast and a Rat at Traeth Hafren…

Intrigued as to how the cooler colour temperature on Traeth Hafren might paint different models in a different light (excuse the pun), I have tried out a few old favourites on the ‘hifimicro’…


The Farish 25 is far from perfect but goes a long way to capture the character of these at one time ubiquitous machines and so a cheaply acquired second hand example was added to my collection some time ago and ‘paired’ at least mentally, with a pair of Dapol Dogfish wagons (which despite rebuilding still exhibit some of the banana effect I almost returned them for!).

The cooler light casts a bluer tint across both locomotives and stock, yet their weathering and consistent appearance is not diminished - the effect still attractive. These experiments give me confidence that my methods, the craft, that underpins the creation of the small worlds contained in these boxes can cope with colour adjustment. Whilst this might sound intuitive I wasn’t certain how a cooler light would make the models themselves feel, so it is a small comfort and encouragement to continue experimenting.


Here, the low angle photos that are so easily possible on a small shelf layout show the potential that N scale has wirh portraying ‘standard gauge’ in a smaller space. The layout itself will shortly be for sale, so if you’re interested in taking it on let me know. Until next time more soon…

Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments