Irish vans…

If you want to model Irish ‘standard gauge’ railways in 4mm/ft in the 70s you’re going to need some loose coupled freight traffic. Apart from some Dapol vehicles spuriously reliveried previously and the forthcoming Irish Railway Models ‘Bulleid opens’ there are no ready to run options…

That means kits. I like kits. However, here again there are problems. Provincial models have marketed a range of resin kits from hand made masters in recent years but I understand the range is in its twilight years. JM design offer some nice 3D printed kits but the proprietor lives in New Zealand meaning not only VAT but large postage charges. What else could I try my hand with?

Models, photo and indicative notes by James Hilton

The CIE ‘modernised’ its good van fleet in the 60s with a large batch of sliding door vans built by Standard Wagon - that looked a great deal like the BR Palvan. Parkside offer a plastic Palvan, one tick. The GNR (Ireland) had a batch of cement wagons that looked similar to the 12t BR van, Parkside also do that - and even better it comes with two sets of ends in the kit. 

The rest is relatively simple kit bashing. Palvan gets a new door and door runner. Both wagons get their label clips removed and buffers replaced and respaced. These buffers aren’t accurate but were in stock, more important for this butterfly mind. Railtec decals finished things off, and paired with my Irish Railway Models A class ‘feel’ right. Plans are slowly maturing here for where this journey will take me, in the meantime, I’ve got an etched brake van kit on the way, pre-ordered the Bulleids and have a Murphy 141 due imminently. The signal is dropped, just, clear for away. Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I've always found Irish railways fascinating being just that little bit different. I've resisted the very strong urge to acquire any of the RTR offerings, partly because I just don't need any more distractions for my limited modelling time and partly because I'm not convinced it's going to look right on 16.5mm gauge and I'll have to go off down the 21mm hand laid route. Again, time being something I lack at the moment. With regards to wagons, have you checked out Studio Scale Models range of kits? They offer a variety of wagons to suit different periods.

    If I were to go Irish it would probably be something small and rural, set in the 50s. I love the J15 0-6-0s and one of these and an A class diesel shuffling around with some wagons and a six wheeled carriage is a very appealing idea. I've been lucky enough to operate Andy Cundick's Valentina layout several times at exhibitions and that run down, rural Irish atmosphere is hard to beat. Look forward to seeing your progress with this James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should of course said Valentia😂. Thanks autocorrect.

      Delete
    2. My thoughts are a cameo with tightly controlled angles, so the gauge is not obvious when viewed at eye level…

      I’m wrestling with compression. I’ve only got space for a 106cm scene and I want a headshunt and spur with station and small goods shed. That discussion though is for another day!

      Delete
  2. The viewing angle solution is the one I'm working on for my light railway project. Fine scale EM or P4 track would certainly look good in that setting but I have little desire to make my own track at this stage. I must resist the temptation to start building Irish stock though so don't give me any encouragement 😂.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall avoid posting any more exciting or inspiring models or sketches, ahem! I’m not sure how long I can keep that pretence up! It’s all good stuff Pat, it’s just finding time to entertain it, or just accept its collection for just the joy of collecting.

      Delete
  3. Hi James. Just saw this advertised and thought Bala isn't far from you. If you've already seen it then apologies for the repeat. https://bala-lake-railway.co.uk/hattons-model-railways-closing-down-sale/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.