Friday Update: Twenty-nine Three Twenty-four...

Last weekend saw the first revenue trains north of Berwyn on the Llangollen Railway this season, and I was keen to witness and record the event…


It was lovely to witness the Pannier back in the valley and a welcome reminder of how wonderful it can be to live near a preserved railway. Not only did I grab a few photos, but also some video, so for the full immersive experience click on the video to watch on YouTube and go full screen!


In the workshop there have been models large and small again, from 009 to 16mm and even OO structures. I love the variety of work at the moment and am enjoying it all. With Leatown gone, I expect to be starting the next layout build next week, but whilst the space is clear it’s nice to day dream of my own layout builds to follow (at some point…)

Fourdees ‘Edward Thomas’ in 009

Planet Industrials ‘Victory’ in OO and EuroNG ‘Resitaish’ in 009


I’ve also been helping Will at Coventry Rail works with some kit testing, the four ex-grain hoppers here are a tease of what is to come! Utilising the venerable Peco grain hopper and some 3D printed replacement parts I’ve also used the excellent Mosskito 6.2mm 3 hole disc wheels. Weathering complete they’re just waiting on couplings. Oh, and the Scottish layout…


Meanwhile I’ve been working on a few more random N project (above) and scratchbuilding some sort of ‘unloading’ pad for Kohlenbach BrĂĽcke Werks (below)…


…and even fitting in some personal weathering jobs making a good start on his covered hopper for Beaverbrook. White cars are always a scary prospect, somehow, like paper, they show every brush stroke. So far, I’m happy enough with the experiment but there is some way to go and once finished I’ll write up the whole traumatic experience!


With the seasonal holiday weekend approaching here in the UK I have a ‘week off’ planned but hope to maintain the daily content through the period. I enjoy sitting here, with the dog and a coffee starting the day with you all. I hope you have a relaxing weekend, wherever you are. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Randomly found myself driving alongside the pannier today (Saturday) as we came in from Ruthin. Beautiful. Trains seemed busy. Did seem to be an issue with coal quality, burn on smoke box and loads of ash being shovelled out at Llangollen. Hope they're back on a more secure financial footing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been out watching the Pannier today and yes, trains seemed busy. Coal quality is poor, but there isn’t much choice I expect, no more soft Welsh steam coal.

      Delete
  2. Slightly ashamed to admit I enjoyed the DMU as much as the pannier...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the DMU and diesels too, possibly more than steam really, and don’t mind saying that. I’d obviously love to see more blue and grey and sectorisation but it’s never going to happen here. We’re lucky to have the A1As Class 31 in construction!

      Delete
  3. Glad to see the railway up and running again, I hope they have a successful year. May try and get up for a ride at some point this year as it's been a while.
    I like the unloader; I've been gathering bits for an industrial layout, which will probably be built around the 3-way Roco point I bought last week, and it's another possible thing to consider incorporating. Bought some industrial pipework parts by Auhagen https://www.buffersmodelrailways.com/auhagen-80104-pipe-conduits-ooho-scale at the York show on Saturday, which is another step forward.
    At work today (Mon), but it's very quiet so there's time to think, plan, etc....
    All the best,
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, I’m enjoying your H0 blog nearly as much as my own journey. I recommend this stuff too… https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/walthers-cornerstone-933-3114-refinery-piping-kit.html

      I’ve designed an etched piece to ‘beef up’ the system, if it works well make it available as a piece others can buy on LRS.

      Let me know if you get up this way, I’ll pop along and say hello!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.