Friday Update: Eight Three Twenty-four…

What a week - incredibly varied, very busy, and on the whole a positive and rewarding one. We'll dance through some of my own and some of your commissions, but we'll open with this wonderful Fourdees 'Windle' posed here on Beaverbrook...


This diminutive model has been delightful to assemble and paint. I've been careful to apply only the thinnest of coats and added a few little details. It is now sealed ready for weathering - as well as some etched plates, but this is where it's tricky... do I go for Hunslet plates and a name OR do I go for Hunslet plates and an etched number plate like on the Sierra Leone Hunslets? Time will tell!

At the other end of the gauge spectrum (well prototype at least) are these OO gauge Irish models that seem to be multiplying here at the moment!

 

The Irish Railway Models 'A' is a lovely thing, but I was struggling to find any suitable goods vehicles for a short 1970s pick up goods. A Parkside BR 12t plywood van and Palvan have been bashed to represent 'typical' examples, and give us a start at least. Another book has arrived and the 'North Kerry' as inspiration settled upon - and whilst the desire for a larger layout is strong, its more likely a 'Kinross' style cameo could be constructed when I can call Kohlenbachbrucke complete. Yes, both that and this are steps away from N gauge - and British modelling - but over the years I've just come to accept the waxing and waning of my interests and for my mental health and modelling mojo, the best thing is to just 'go' with it.


Back to commissions - Leatown is progressing really very nicely indeed. Just a few 'finishing' touches to add in the coming week but progress has seen the road, railings, street and platform lights (non working) and litter added. Model making is art, and my subtle restraint and choice of colours should mean that this layout comes to life with the actors, not in itself. I can't wait to get some 'finished' shots next week, it's just a shame I don't have any BR blue things with DCC decoders fitted for the video!


Virtual work has seen some parts for the Hudson Go-go tractor drawn up in CAD. These will be printed and fitted to the laser cut chassis that is already designed and constructed - this sort of 'modern' multi-media assembly is part of my scratch building process - making use of technology combined with traditional skills to create unique and characterful projects. There is still a long way to go on this one, but if this has perked your interest for your own model do get in touch in the usual way - the contact form here, Facebook or the forums.


Something a little more unusual for me is this station building commission. I've been asked to build both this and the goods shed from Staverton, a wonderfully bucolic structure that is still standing and serving today now on the South Devon Railway. Constructed in styrene with Slaters embossed material as an overlay, the edges have been nicked to represent the edge of each course. Touches I like are the flashing on the chimney and the subtle yet textured 'slates'. I cheat here for two reasons - these are just horizontal layers, no vertical cuts. This means you don't get unsightly lifting, creasing damage but you do get the shadow gap between each row - an important texture to get right with slate roofing.


Too big for the bench, this quartet of Dapol O gauge wagons are in for a COV AB make over - I've removed the Dapol 'TOPS' panels and have designed some custom markings to replace these - but intend to weather them first as the decals are quite delicate and I don't want to spoil them with washes and abrasion in the process. Eventually I think I'll be doing another 8 of these - so quite an investment for my customer but they'll make a great sight behind his Heljan 47 (Venator - which has appeared on the blog previously). 


A personal project that has been ticking along is the 'flask' train in N - although the 31 isn't weathered yet, seen here 'running around' on Paxton Road it still has all the character of the prototype and brings the 1990s to life in my small cameo and in my heart. I love these small creations and sector liveries in particular. They recapture the excitement of the prototype 'new' in my youth...


Closing out this week's update, a gentle reminder too that both Traeth Hafren and my Graham Farish 150/1 Sprinter are for sale - the former £200 (plus delivery) and the latter £180 (including delivery). If either is of interest you know how to get in touch.

This weekend is another well deserved rest - with a bit of luck - and I can do some little jobs on the new project along with playing trains on Beaverbrook again - which has been re-invigorated by a layout design commission this week based on a Canadian / North American shortline! As I said earlier, I just love model railways, I love them and all of them - enjoying whatever my current interest is and not worrying about 'finishing' that one great project. However, I'm rambling - so for now, I need to get back to the bench! Until next time, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Nice Irish stuff. JM Designs and Provincial Wagons can help - see IRM forum. But you are managing well by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes I’m on there and have seen both suppliers. The chap in New Zealand isn’t helped by his geographical location - prices are eye watering! Provincial Models, less convinced by resin kits as they depend so much on both the master and the caster, but I think I’ll need some more vans at some point so will take a proper look as they are always highly recommended. Hopefully I’ve ordered a Studio Scale Models brake and some signals this week, and some IRM Bulleid opens for later in the year.

      Delete
  2. Have you looked at Fenit as a possible inspiration for the Irish layout? It would tempt me. as would a kit for any of the Timoleague and Courtmcsherry stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fenit itself is too big for the space I have, but the branch traffic is perfect (2-3 wagons and an A class) towards the end of its life. Ardfert has a usefully simple track plan, my thoughts are heavy compression and some artful intepretation of favourite features.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.