Friday Update: One Three Twenty-four…

Grab yourself a coffee (or paned), get comfortable and dive into this weeks omnibus edition of the workbench...


Indulgently kicking off this week's update is another shot of Leatown which is progressing nicely towards completion as the scenic work begins to layer up and bring the scene to life. This composition, at the left hand exit of the layout is wonderful, and just as I had imagined. The layering of stock 'peeping' put from under the bridge with the steps down to the path to the platform, it leads us into and through the scene. Of course, the 08 brings it to life... we can imagine the gentle lollop in it's engine note, observing too the way it vibrates and the build up of grease around the springs on the chassis - waiting for it to move and eager to enjoy it's gentle movements around the yard. Take the locomotive away and the scene appears dead, lifeless, waiting for the actor to appear - for me, the lead actors are always the locomotives - yes a story can be told around a structure or even a tree - but for me personally, the main event is always the trains. 

In the coming week work will continue at the right hand side of the layout, and should see completion of the road and fencing - I will share more on that next time!


This model has been a while in gestation - I have had to draw up and have the plates etched from my own artwork which has delayed what was otherwise supposed to be quick weather and detailing to turn this Hornby model into the memory of looking after the prototype in my customers former role. However, the way my subtle adjustments to the Hornby finish (adding gloss lacquer to boost up the green, then knocking this back with dirt and weathering), observing prototype details (glossy smoke deflectors and the position of warning flashes) with my usual light weathering has really given the model some presence - I'll share photos of the completed model next week all being well...


Fresh out the blocks this week, a new commission - turning the paper Scalescenes kit of Staverton station into a styrene example. Work has focused on getting a generally accurate shell and adding lamination of brick embossed styrene. The next step will be to design some etched windows (which will also then go in my James Hilton CMR range) - before moving onto the roof and basic detailing. It's nice to be working on something different again. 

Behind the scenes I've got some O scale MGR wagons that need re-branding (so decal design) along with some other custom one off decals - plus I've made a start on the CAD for the Hudson Go-go tractor parts.


On the bench too has been this Kerr, Stuart 'Victory' that I have repainted into lined Southern green. You've seen 948 before, but last time in plain black. Next week will see coal, a crew and gentle weathering - but I'm really pleased with how neatly this has come out, especially the hand painted curves around the cab and bunker. If you've got a Victory you'd like me to weather, paint or detail to get in touch.


On the personal bench this N gauge Dapol milk tanker has been finished (for Pont Dulas photo opportunities) but will soon be sold along with the Farish train set (if you're interested in jumping the queue on that get in touch). The results here are wash and then airbrushed dirt to bring the model to life and tone down the bright silver tank!


Finally, something black and tan has arrived - an Irish Railway Models A class. This is a really smart piece of design, lovely detail, fairly robust, great running - and the first step towards my Irish adventure. I tracked down stock at Chris Dyer Fairs (if anyone else fancies one) and with the quality of this model I'm waiting anxiously for IRM to announce baby brother B/C class which would be right up my street. I have thought though that perhaps I should consider adding DCC sound to the Irish adventure, as I will never have too many models - but perhaps that is a step too far? Anyhow - very impressed, and enjoying it sat on display in the workshop.

It has been a tough week with fatigue and over stimulation too - and one thing I've recognised is the gentle relaxation of a quick operating session on Kohlenbachbrucke is a real tonic. Rather ironically, as you're reading this online, is the realisation that I need to step back from devices in the evening - and enjoying the discipline of only looking at books and sketching ideas on paper... 

This weekend may see a trip to Porthmadog - it however, may equally see just some gentle progress on my own projects. I hope you can find time for yourselves too in the days ahead. Spring is not far away, until next time though, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Great to see some photos of what you've been working on this week and also just enjoying! The Staverton building looks excellent so far, as do the locos and stock, plus Leatown is looking very much done - lovely in its urban neglect. I must say, I'm quite taken with that livery on the Victory, and the A Class looks proper chunky and full of presence on Kohlenbachbrucke; I suppose a 1:76 machine on a 1:87 scene helps with that impression. Anyway, here's to a relaxing weekend, although I suspect not as relaxing as it perhaps should be (with far too much interesting stuff to get excited about).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James - a varied and rewarding week on the whole.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.