More about Pont Dulas…

After I shared my video ‘Quiet between trains’ last week, talking about the ‘why’ behind Pont Dulas I was excited and inspired by the messages I received about the layout, but the style of video too…


That means I’ll try more in a similar vein in future - but for those that were asking about the ‘how’ I have put together a follow up ‘Layout Tour’ of this small cameo scene - which I’ll link below. In the video is a short clip of a train running through the scene and rather than the obvious Pannier or perhaps even DMU I chose to play with the Class 22, pictured here. 


These ugly ducklings are so full of character. I’ve come close to selling this model on several occasions but it has real staying power. I’m not sure why… I never saw them in service. My first OO gauge diesel was a blue Lima Western, and as a GWR man I appreciated that the hydraulics were almost a last gasp. Perhaps this explains part of the why, the heart? The head is easier - it’s a lovely model, and it’s compact size and good running make it a great choice for small spaces.



It is also interesting to see one of my Grandpa’s N gauge models in this train. The Peco van is a repaint and detailing of an 80s version of this vehicle. I have added DG couplings and finer metal wheels and I think although the roof is a little clunky the plank detail is better than some of the more recent Farish wooden vans, less pronounced but still visible. The connection this model brings between my childhood and my present is wonderful, bringing this older model up to date doesn’t reduce its value as a vehicle from my Grandpa’s collection, it only strengthens it because now I have invested myself into its form, its mine and a memory. Anyhow, I digress…


In this video I give an overview of the layout before talking about both method and composition. There is of course still a bit of ‘why’ in it, I can’t help it, but hopefully this satisfies those who still like to understand how things were done. Until next time though, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments