Friday Update: Twenty-two Three Twenty-four…

I’m not quite sure how I’m sat here again writing another of these Friday write updates! It all started quietly enough last weekend when another new Irish book arrived and the dog and I enjoyed a few quiet hours lost in its pages…

Bronwen more interested in what is going on outside than the prospect of ‘another’ new book!

I’m not quite ready to share more on my plans with my blossoming Irish OO collection but there is a small hint of where things are heading later in todays update. Back to this week, there have been two main projects on the bench this week have been the Hudson (pictured below) and some 009 models but after I’ve typed this it’s back to the bench and progressing the goods shed for Staverton.


Two weeks ago I shared photos of the CAD design for the side frames on this 16mm/ft commission of a Hudson GoGo tractor. These arrived the tail end of last week and have now been fitted to the laser cut chassis shown previously. Work could then begin - the first stage to add the front and rear overlays of styrene to hide the construction of the chassis - some bolt head details will be added to this later. The diecast tractor was then mounted (off centre as per the prototype) and the bonnet and radiator cover scratch built. The fuel tank was lowered a little as the diecast model is to a larger scale, but it works ok here. Cab sides begin to show the promise of this chunky model and hopefully even without he details you can see the finesse we’re aiming for in this 16mm model, a world away from laser cut MDF pocket money kits (which are great for some fun, but not what this one is about).


The O scale Hop AB project progresses - the custom decals I’ve designed and drawn up have arrived, along with some fake coal for the base of the load (I’ll add a dusting of the real stuff on top I think). These are still a few weeks from starting as the bench is still full of smaller stuff for the time being!

 

Last week shown in primer this week the pair of Fourdee Pecketts are progressing well. One is nearly finished, the second in final assembly. I’ve got these down to a fine art now, so if you’d like me to work on one for you I can offer you a confident and competitive fixed price for assembly and painting. Get in touch if you’d like to learn more.


Also on the bench this week is another Resita, it seems these are all coming out of the work work! We only did two small batches and I’ve worked on probably 10% of these now! This one is heading for the some weathering next week, now she’s all painted up.


I hinted earlier about the Irish project, well you know I am not blessed with a lot of space here but I think I can accommodate another LACK sized cameo later this year. Current inspiration is the Fenit branch and the North Kerry, and what I’d give for another foot of length, but this is what you get in OO in small spaces. Compromise. His scheme would work beautifully in N, but I couldn’t face the kit and scratch-building all the stock, so OO and a caricature it will be - the challenge is going to be how to evoke space in this scheme. The station platform and building are right, goods shed at the back on the Y siding. A loading bank with beet ramp on the right. I’d have loved a level crossing, and originally planned to just model a single track through the scene but that felt like it wouldn’t ‘stick’ long enough. Plenty of time to less this whole project mature, but this gives you an early taste of where it may end up.


This H0 scale ‘Sweep’ from a Kaslo shops kit has been on the bench for some time. Started last year I’ve overcome a few problems in that time, most recently the poor quality sound file, now upgraded and updated. This week saw the paintwork take shape with decals applied, but I’ve found another problem! The glazing is laser cut but the cut thickness hasn’t been taken into account, so it is all too small for the openings! This should be resolved in the coming weeks, I’m excited to get this one ‘over the line’ and into service on Beaverbrook.


I’d really like to see Traeth Hafren find a new home - if you’re reading this than you have he chance to take it on for just £150 (that’s 25% down on my original price now). I would love to keep it but I need the space, and it has taught me a lot. It’s an operational shelf, the pull out fiddle stick means a DMu can shuttle in and out, perhaps you can find space in your home for such a little scene? 

This weekend Leatown is being collected and the Llangollen Railway is running through the valley again - I would like to do some work on ground work on Kohlenbach Brücke Werks and structures on Beaverbrook but I’m not precious. Last weekend I ended up lost in Bulmers Railway Centre (yes, a plan was produced, more on that soon) so as long as it’s a chance to unwind and rest I’ll be happy enough. Thank you all for the continued interest, encouragement and custom. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments