Commission: Renfriegstadt in H0…

I suppose this is a peculiar one, because the scheme I'm sharing here is not the one that I will end up on this particular journey, more on that shortly, so why am I putting it forwards here?


Well, because I really like it! I don't know an awful lot about standard gauge railways across Europe (and still don't) but to find some inspiration for this project I found myself on Google Earth looking for semi-industrial railways in places I've never heard of, especially around the Rhine and some of Germany's canals. The result I feel has a lot of character, and largely fitted the brief - however I mocked the scheme up on the floor and talked my customer through the operation which identified that this really wasn't the layout they wanted - leading to a re-evaluation of the track plan and for them to consider more closely what they needed from the project.


The brief was pretty loose to be honest, and that did cause me a few head-aches. Somewhere to run a few freight wagons, Northern Europe, no set location... however, a little back and forth narrowed things down enough for me to do some research and suggest a potential location, or at least inspiration. Size and room location was determined, so various arrangements of track were shared (above) to get a feel for what was and wasn't liked by the client.


The result is shown here, where the 'mainline' railway hands over to a smaller local industrial concern (think shades of our own Manchester Ship Canal railway in Trafford Park in the 1980s). The loop continues off stage, a train arrives and the locomotive leaves, whereby a smaller shunting locomotive collects the loads and switches them for empties in the various locations around the layout. This requires some shunting and re-shunting, switching ends etc which slows things down. The idea that certain cars need to go in a certain order would also add a level of complexity to extend operation - with smooth running modern DCC sound fitted locomotives it would be a lovely little place to 'play trains' with an industrial feel balanced by the office/flat apartments on the right hand side. The effect of trains hiding behind this and ducking out of view really appealed, and seemed to echo some of the prototype (above).

The operation would sustain around an hours operation and in practice the top right track would have been extended off stage to provide a second industry. Alas, the scheme has been completely re-drawn (and I shall I'm sure share that in time), but as I opened, I really like this scheme and what it offers, and wanted to share it with you all. If you need some help working through the layout design process then prices start from £160, where I will guide you through steps to firm up and produce a Layout Design Brief that will eventually include not only a track plan, but parts lists, illustrations as well as your motivation and inspiration for this particular location and prototype. Get in touch to start the conversation. Until next time, more soon...

Comments