Renfrew repair…

Last summer I built a layout called Renfrew Wharf. Set in industrial 1960s Glasgow it featured a lovely moody photographic back scene sky…


What you see above though isn’t it! That initial backscene was printed on a ‘premium’ plastic self adhesive material, and although I applied it without too much trouble, within a few weeks in my customers home it had bubbled as the adhesive reacted with the sealed and painted wooden back of the layout. Having followed the prep instructions I was not best pleased, and speaking with ID backscenes ( now Scaleology I believe) I wasn’t alone in these problems. I’ve had similar trouble on Beaverbrook in places, and so from now on will only use and recommend the paper based backscenes they produce.


Obviously Renfrew needed repair (of course without charge), but my customer enjoyed operating it so much it has taken until this week to be able to make progress. The basic scenic materials that could be damaged were carefully removed and it was peeled off, largely in one piece. Helpfully a slight tack was left on the back material. The new paper scene is slightly less moody, but fitted in place well and I’ve disguised the joint at the base with further scenic material. The warehouse images were reprinted and fitted with Prit-stik. 


The result is just as impressive as before, this short 120cm layout really does pack a lot of atmosphere into a small space. I’ve shown my Manchester Ship Canal Sentinel here which places the scene, but equally with a GWR Pannier it could be Swansea docks. A relatively blank canvas then, and one that lets the actors take centre stage.

If you’d like help producing a layout I offer a complete service where I guide you through the design process, generating an illustrated plan and scheme before producing a costed layout build proposal if required. There are a few testimonials in the modelling commissions page (tab above). Get in touch via the contact form in the menu, Facebook or the forums.

It’s been lovely to see Renfrew back here, and pose some trains on it. I hope you have enjoyed reading about the rectification of a problem, proving they happen to us all! Until next time, more soon…

Comments